Main > The Armoury

18 ga. Armor???

(1/2) > >>

jason77:
I've noticed some armor listed in the marketplace section which was previously for sale and others from outside this forum who are engaged in Harnischfechten with 18 gauge steel armor. I don't quite understand the choice of this gauge since it doesn't seem to be sufficiently thick enough to protect against steel blunts; or at least will become dented up quickly. I understand it is cheaper than 16 or 14 gauge but is that the main reason why some people choose such thin steel? Maybe I'm wrong here since I've never personally worn 18 gauge steel armor. Any thoughts?

Thorsteinn:
You don't need 14-16 ga everywhere. In fact our ancestors had differing gauges not only in the helms but in the breast plates, maille, leg harness, and so on. Some of the plates got as thin as 22-24 ga. It all depends on what you plan to do with it and what you expect to be facing.

Sir Rodney:
18 gauge poorly shaped mild steel and 18 gauge custom shaped hardened steel are two completely different animals.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Rodney on 2016-07-20, 04:10:42 ---18 gauge poorly shaped mild steel and 18 gauge custom shaped hardened steel are two completely different animals.

--- End quote ---

^^^ This.  Worlds apart, they are.  Modern purveyors tend to go with uniform gauges probably because its simpler and cheaper than varying thicknesses based on use.

Sir James A:
What Sir Rodney said.

Gauge is only part of the equation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version