Miscellaneous > The Sallyport

Boston, MA is where we're moving. UPDATE!!!

(1/6) > >>

Thorsteinn:
So we've picked Boston as our East Coast landing spot! Can you help us with lay of the land info?
Stuff like-
1) Where to live or not live.
2) BOLO for job spots. Chef de Cuisine or Executive Sous Chef for my wife, Courier/Delivery Driver for me.
3) Public Transit info.
4) Anyone whom could help us with  crash space on the 3-5 day drive out, and while we find a place. Though my wife may be flying out first depending on job circumstances.
5) Any useful tidbits that we've not thought of.

Our current plan is to use a U-Box container and our car, so we're reducing down to the bare essentials as that should save us monies.

Thorsteinn:
After a good long fight with that sin Pride we have won. And are finally willing to ask for help so here is the GoFundMe page some of our friend have advised (rightly <grumble>) we set up.

https://www.gofundme.com/2dzftrg

We think "It's supposed to be used for BIG things" and our friends say "You mean like moving coasts?". So yeah, asking for help when it's serious is not a skill we have in abundance.

Lord Dane:
As I'm the only one local in that regard, I guess I'm the go-to-guy for your Boston needs. :)

Number 1.) Boston traffic ALWAYS sucks (6-9am; 2:30-6pm) - All major highways (93, 90, 95) - Best avoid during busy times if living outside city & commuting.
Number 2.) If local, there are several reasonably priced localities for living (not all are overpriced - Boston is high-cost living though). I would avoid Dorchester, Roxbury (along Blue Hill Avenue especially) if looking to live in city (most gun violence there between local gangs). Lots of great suburbs & neighborhoods around Boston. Ask if you see something you like.
Number 3.) Work is plenty. Restaurants are abundant in Boston as is colleges & universities. You will not by hurting for food & hospitality industries here - job wise. For courier services: UPS, FedEx, etc all have hubs here. If you have trucker's Commerical CDL (MA), you should be all set with finding employment driving here.
Number 4.) Boston is a very historical, modern reflection of colonial New England. Has something for everyone - including us medieval nuts. Entertainment is plenty.
Number 5.) MBTA (or the "T") is the public transit system - trains, commuter rails, buses in the Greater Boston area. Very accessible to all areas in & around the city. Commuter rates vary for passes if you use it but it is very accessible by many stations and lines (including North & South stations - Railway hubs/Amtrak, etc).

That's just for starters. Look me up when you arrive. :) 

Thorsteinn:
When I lived in Portland, an all access pass to the Tri-Met system was like $530/ yr. I thought  it a wonderful deal. Is there something similar in Boston?

Lord Dane:
I do not take the MBTA (I drive) but yes there are varying rates for commuters ("T" passes). They call them Charlie cards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version