Main > The Armoury

Chainmail sleeves elbow expansion

(1/2) > >>

markpart1:
Hi all
I am new to the wonderful world of chainmail crafting and I need some help. I am making fitted chainmail sleeves down to my wrist and I am tapering them down with hole row contractions. My problem is what kind of expansions do you use to make space in the elbows (elbow pouch) for a better range in motion? I know there is the knot row expansion, any help would be greatly appreciated it. Also the direction of the rings on my sleeves are open hang ( pattern going along my arm not around it)

Sir James A:
Are you doing this yourself? You may want to talk to Tom Biliter on Facebook, he does this... I've never tried to do it myself.

Sir Wolf:
i know JamesB used to talk about making diamond shaped expansions in certain areas

markpart1:
Yes i am making this my self, thanks for the advise. I have completed the whole sleeve and the arm movement so far i can move it about 90 degrees before the chainmail stops me.  I will try to research some more and take both of your advise and hopefully i can get some more arm movement

Ian:
Attached is an image of an original mail sleeve and under it, a reproduction.  The twisty ties on the original are marking every tailoring ring.  The tailoring rings are black on the reproduction for visibility.  You can see there are a couple gores, and rows of expansions in both the elbow and the armpit.  The reproduction was made by Tom Biliter.  You can find him at https://www.facebook.com/historicallypatternedmail.  You'll also see he has higher resolution images of the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version