Main > The Armoury

Looking to build a Knight kit

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sir_Edward_ReBrook:
Sir Ulrich:

Thank you for the extremely useful information. I know it can be frustrating to deal with a newbie like myself, so I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to do so. Do you know if they happen to make the arming wear as well?

As for my other questions, Sir James, should I actually start three separate threads for them? I want to do things properly. I am hoping to acquire a 14th or 15th century suit of plate armor as well. I am unsure whether or not any of the pieces I've purchased from DarkKnightArmory can be used/salvaged, but given that the back plate and front plate of the cuirass don't even fit together, I have fairly low expectations. Perhaps, if it's not too much trouble, one of you gentlemen can direct me to a custom plate armor manufacturer as well.

Respectfully,

Edward ReBrook, GOTJ

Ian:
I wrote a guide a while back that focuses on building a historical plate harness if you'd like to take a look:

http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,3207.0.html

I also run a YouTube channel, in which I'm just about wrapping up a series that also focuses on the plate harness, it's development through time and how to properly wear them.  You might find them beneficial.  Even if not looking to get in to a plate harness right now, the concepts and historical overviews in each video might be more germane to earlier mail harnesses:

https://youtu.be/eQDMtFiDaEA?list=PLllw4zFP7rK_FvP5_XhbxaHL6Mozats7Q

--- Quote from: Sir_Edward_ReBrook on 2015-10-18, 15:51:46 ---As for my other questions, Sir James, should I actually start three separate threads for them? I want to do things properly. I am hoping to acquire a 14th or 15th century suit of plate armor as well. I am unsure whether or not any of the pieces I've purchased from DarkKnightArmory can be used/salvaged, but given that the back plate and front plate of the cuirass don't even fit together, I have fairly low expectations. Perhaps, if it's not too much trouble, one of you gentlemen can direct me to a custom plate armor manufacturer as well.

--- End quote ---

Making three separate threads is not necessary.  To be 100% up front with you, if historical accuracy is a concern, it's unlikely that the pieces you have would be suitable.  It all really depends on your goals.  If you want to go the historical route, be prepared to spend a lot of time studying historical context, artwork and survivals before worrying about making any purchases.  If you want to blend history and fantasy, or just go pure fantasy, I would still recommend a decent amount of earnest study on the historical stuff.  The reason being is that even though certain stylistic changes to armor may make it more fantasy than historical, the underlying functionality of how the armor wears and how it interacts with arming garments are still just as important.  A lot of fantasy or historically 'inspired' armor out there throws caution to the wind and it may look cool, but it will not wear comfortably.  There are also a lot of fantasy armors out there made by folks who understand how to build real armor, and build fantasy armor that functions properly.  Check out my guide and see if it helps you narrow your focus a little more, because it will be easier to guide you then.  I know you've stated that you're interested in building a more  accurate kit, but sometimes when faced with the reality of it people realize they are more interested in less strict stylization, methodology and materials.

Sir_Edward_ReBrook:
Sir Ian:

Thank you again for the reply. May I say how very much I've enjoyed watching your YouTube videos. I hope we become good friends. As for history, here's my take on it - I want to conform to a historically appropriate look. By that, I mean that I want to fit in with my fellow knights should I ever get my hands on a flux capacitor and travel back through time. With that said, I have no problem with my armour being made with modern techniques and better materials than were available in the past.

I am quite a fan of the harness I see German knights wear, but I do not like the Sallet style helmet. Do you know if these types of harnesses were ever worn with close helms? If not, what styles did use the close helm? I am not sure if I'm indulging in pure fantasy, but in my mind, the close helm is what I think of when I think of a knight in plate armour.

Thank you again for your thought and your patience. I very much hope to meet you in the near future and to talk about these things in detail.

Respectfully,

Edward

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir_Edward_ReBrook on 2015-10-18, 21:45:12 ---Sir Ian:

Thank you again for the reply. May I say how very much I've enjoyed watching your YouTube videos. I hope we become good friends. As for history, here's my take on it - I want to conform to a historically appropriate look. By that, I mean that I want to fit in with my fellow knights should I ever get my hands on a flux capacitor and travel back through time. With that said, I have no problem with my armour being made with modern techniques and better materials than were available in the past.

I am quite a fan of the harness I see German knights wear, but I do not like the Sallet style helmet. Do you know if these types of harnesses were ever worn with close helms? If not, what styles did use the close helm? I am not sure if I'm indulging in pure fantasy, but in my mind, the close helm is what I think of when I think of a knight in plate armour.

Thank you again for your thought and your patience. I very much hope to meet you in the near future and to talk about these things in detail.

Respectfully,

Edward

--- End quote ---

It's my pleasure.  To answer your question about the Close Helm, the typical 'Knight in Shining Armor,' with a close helm usually evokes images of guys like this:

Unfortunately, this is not medieval armor.  It  dates to the mid 16th century and is very much Renaissance Armor, contemporary to the Tudor Period in England.  There's nothing wrong with that, it's just important you realize it's a shift from the Medieval Era into the Renaissance.

The Sallet on the other hand comes about in the middle decades of the 15th century in both German and Italian forms, and is indeed Medieval Armor.  It is most normally associated with Late Medieval German Gothic harness.  An Italian Milanese Armet based harness is also a mid 15th century Medieval Style of armor and shares more stylistic  elements in common with the Close Helm.  Again, for the sake of full disclosure, in order to commission a quality late Medieval German Gothic armor, I promise you, you could potentially blow through a $3,000 budget on a high-end Sallet and Cuirass alone.  Historically shaped plate armor is expensive, no way around it.  You can certainly get into less than 'living history quality' plate armor for cheaper sums, but you will definitely compromise things like historical shaping, high quality hardened steel, etc...  You will also want your armor to be custom fit to your body, and in turn be wearing arming garments custom tailored to you.

The image you originally posted of the kneeling knight in mail, from the Westminster Psalter dates to 1250, and predates the Milanese and German Gothic styles of late medieval plate by about 200 years.  The nice thing about getting into a mail harness though, is a high quality, historical mail harness can be had for much less money than its late Medieval plate counterpart.  The other nice thing about mail harness, is that a lot of the work can be done by you.  Making high quality plate armor requires a very highly skilled armorer, but with mail you can purchase off-the-rack, put in the blood/sweat/tears yourself and tailor it over time to your body and arming garments.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from choosing one path or the other, I just want you to understand what you're getting in to.

Sir_Edward_ReBrook:
Sir Ian:

The advice is much appreciated. Yes, I'm fearful that this will definitely become a lifelong obsession on which I spend shocking amounts of capital. But it's healthier than most expensive habits, I suppose. What is your favorite period for armour, functionally and aesthetically, from the Middle Ages? That, I'm certain could be a thread.

Respectfully,

Edward, GOTJ

P.S. - I just ordered The Chevalier sword from Albion. It's my first sword nicer than a Windlas, so I'm excited.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version