"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Has anyone read this? 'The Middle Ages' by Morris Bishop  (Read 10131 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
So students taking European history this year would have to have read "The Middle Ages" by Morris Bishop this summer.
Intrigued to find out how good the info is, I asked my friend Jacob to lend me a his copy. So I've started reading it(some pages in the section talking about the knight) and I haven't noticed wrong info yet. it does jump around from century to century a bit....
The book does provide descriptions of life and events from chroniclers. The book also provides Imagery from the Centuries and describes what is happening in the image.
Has anyone read this book? It was published in 1968, so of course some info may/will be outdated.
« Last Edit: 2015-09-25, 16:10:32 by Naythan »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Has anyone read this? 'The Middle Ages' by Morris Bishop
« Reply #1 on: 2015-10-29, 16:53:43 »
Review: Pretty good info. Except for the Armor bits. He says a two handed sword is so heavy that the man swinging it would like be killed before well..swinging it.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2015-10-31, 06:10:50 »
It's very possible a guy with a two handed sword could be killed before swinging it.

Those archers....
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2015-11-06, 16:41:23 »
It's very possible a guy with a two handed sword could be killed before swinging it.

Those archers....

Lol. I seem to recall him being so slow. Alas any good swordsman would just cut any missile in half before it hits him. Although he made no negative remarks to single handed swords.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2015-11-06, 18:23:33 »
Lol. I seem to recall him being so slow. Alas any good swordsman would just cut any missile in half before it hits him.

LOL - only in video games, literary fiction and movies- an arrow flies much faster in real life.

The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2015-11-10, 23:09:50 »
Lol. I seem to recall him being so slow. Alas any good swordsman would just cut any missile in half before it hits him.

LOL - only in video games, literary fiction and movies- an arrow flies much faster in real life.

;D
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order