Main > The Armoury

What do you gentlemen/women think?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ian:
Depending on your budget there are certainly other options out there aside from Matul's, but at the 350-400 Euro range I think they're the best that I'm aware of.  You can spend upwards of $3,000 on a bascinet if you want to, and everything in between.  But getting a good helmet is not an instant-gratification thing... you will have to wait some time for it as they usually are made-to-order, but I think most people here will tell you that instant-gratification purchases in armor almost always lead to disappointment and buyer's remorse.

If you're interested in studying real examples of surviving side-hinged bascinets, I've assembled a pinterest album here of various examples:

Side-hinged Bascinets

Sir Hancz:
Thank you all for your comments, I've looked around my area and I've found a armorer willing to make me a set. I've based my kit around a Italian knight around 1460. We've agreed on a fair price, and I will soon measure myself to start. Thanks again all of you for your comments!

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Hancz on 2015-05-27, 01:45:52 ---Thank you all for your comments, I've looked around my area and I've found a armorer willing to make me a set. I've based my kit around a Italian knight around 1460. We've agreed on a fair price, and I will soon measure myself to start. Thanks again all of you for your comments!

--- End quote ---

Unless you meant 1360,it's important to note that bascinets are not appropriate for the 1460 date you've listed. Italian Knights of 1460 would be wearing armets, barbutes, or sallets. Side-pivoting Houndskull bascinets span from roughly the 1360s to about 1420ish.

Please read my guide here if you're interested in historically accurate kit:

http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,3207.0.html

Sir William:
Putting them side by side (SM and Matul's) its easy to see what you pointed out, Sir Ian.  I know for my part, I'll be looking at verveilles and maille aventail and the height they achieve on a helm more closely from now on.  ;)

Sir Hancz:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2015-05-27, 11:42:32 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Hancz on 2015-05-27, 01:45:52 ---Thank you all for your comments, I've looked around my area and I've found a armorer willing to make me a set. I've based my kit around a Italian knight around 1460. We've agreed on a fair price, and I will soon measure myself to start. Thanks again all of you for your comments!

--- End quote ---

Unless you meant 1360,it's important to note that bascinets are not appropriate for the 1460 date you've listed. Italian Knights of 1460 would be wearing armets, barbutes, or sallets. Side-pivoting Houndskull bascinets span from roughly the 1360s to about 1420ish.

Please read my guide here if you're interested in historically accurate kit:

http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,3207.0.html

--- End quote ---
Yes, mistake, that was a typo, 1460 is not correct, the helmet on my set that the local armorer is making dates from 1360, and it is a Italian bascinet to match my Italian kit. I've seen some of this guy's display armor, and it is just magnificent! The helm will be 12 gauge also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version