"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: Collecting AD&D Book and Materials  (Read 6241 times)

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
Collecting AD&D Book and Materials
« on: 2015-04-24, 05:21:06 »
I played D&D / AD&D from the early 1980’s through the mid 2000’s; over twenty years.  I boxed up all my manuals and modules once my children arrived, my career took off, and I became more involved with the SCA.

A friend gave me a box of his old AD&D materials last weekend which prompted me to pull out and review the 8 cases of books I had stored away.  I quickly realized that I needed to organize and inventory my hoard.  Having just begun the process, I came upon two valuable resources:

The Acaeum

TSR Archive

I started with the 1st edition Player’s Handbook and discovered I have 5 copies of the 20 unique printings (2,3,7,8,9)!  :)

Does anyone have AD&D collecting advice or useful links to share?
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Collecting AD&D Book and Materials
« Reply #1 on: 2015-04-24, 06:04:19 »
Other than "damn"? Thats a hell of a hoard. :)
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2015-04-24, 14:01:34 »
The only AD&D books I retain are my Player's Handbook and a copy of the Complete Book of Elves.  I just love the art in those books.  There was no such nostalgia when I donated all my 4ed D&D books to a used book store :)
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2015-04-24, 14:39:48 »

Wow, nice. I don't think I really have much advice to share.

I still have my D&D books, and filled in some of the gaps a number of years ago. I think my shelf has editions 1, 3.5, and 4.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2015-04-24, 19:49:45 »
I've got a few of them, but I bought them for the armor pictures.

Seriously.

Books with medieval armor were scarce (or out of price for a teenager) back in the mid 90s.

I don't think I've ever actually played a non-digital D&D game.

Congrats on having 5 of 20 ever printed!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #5 on: 2015-05-26, 03:18:05 »
I’ve completed the inventory process which took much longer than expected.  As I thumbed through the books, I couldn’t help remembering the friends that have since settled down into family life, moved across town, moved across “the pond”, and one who has passed away.

It may seem silly, but there’s a lot of nostalgia wrapped up in those books.

As it sits today, I have 244 titles from D&D as well as the first & second editions of AD&D.  I plan to trade in 42 additional titles from other gaming systems which hold no special interest for me.

I’d like to plow those funds into arms, armour, and anything printed by TSR from the 1970’s that I can get my hands on.   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2015-05-27, 20:08:22 »
I never played, only watched.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Michael

• New Forum Member
  • Always striving to be a man of high morals
« Reply #7 on: 2015-06-29, 16:47:32 »
I used to love playing in the Ravenloft campaign setting.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong; this is your oath. (slap) And that is so you remember it. Rise a knight.