Main > The Armoury

Half-Mail Chauses?

<< < (2/2)

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2015-03-17, 20:28:30 ---Suspenders are kind of counter to a lot of what we know about suspending leg armor.  It's ok for pants because pants weight almost nothing, but for armor you're intentionally putting the weight of your armor on your shoulders.  Every time you shrug or potentially lift your arms you're interfering with or attempting to lift your leg harness.  I think the waist is really the way to go, either through textile or a separate girdle.  For maille, it was likely a girdle as garment tailoring had not evolved yet to the point where very fitted clothes were the norm (as would be required for a doublet to support legs).

--- End quote ---

Agreed on the suspenders and in following your thread I find myself feeling hopeful that I might one day actually wear a pair.  Never could figure out a comfy way- I had a pair of butted ones I got last year, complete with loops but it dragged the front of the belt down and pulled on my lower back after only a few paces.  That was uncomfortable to say the least so I never bothered wearing them.

I'm a lazy bones though and it would suit me to stay in the 12th and go w/out them.  So thank you for doing the research and mocking up a viable option for the rest of us, good Sir!

Sir Nate:
I've never heard of the idea of half chausses before. But agreeing with the need for protection above, I don't think it was very likely.

Thorsteinn:
I've seen mail that wen't to just above the knee in look but it was then covered by gamboised cuisses (while continuing all the way up), and sometimes had a soupcan knee.

Also I've seen the ones that were done on just the front and laced to the back.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2015-03-19, 17:35:30 ---I've seen mail that wen't to just above the knee in look but it was then covered by gamboised cuisses (while continuing all the way up), and sometimes had a soupcan knee.

Also I've seen the ones that were done on just the front and laced to the back.

--- End quote ---

I've seen those as well- both in art as well as in practice.  In art, the ones I saw had dagged sections that met in the back of the lower leg to be tied.  In practice, it was like square pieces of maille tied at the back.  Not very neat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version