Main > The Armoury

Appropriate gauntlet for 1350-ish kit?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir Rodney:
I’m hesitant about quality at that price point as well.  They’re so darn cheap; I’m considering picking up a pair just to do a review!

Sir Brian:
Well essentially I'm looking at them as rough/raw material to work with. I paid nearly double that price for those pathetic Wisby gauntlets I bought from SPQR which I eventually turned into my Franken-Gaunts that served me well all last season in numerous training sessions and duels of Blossfechten and harnischfechten. These gauntlets from the photos appear to be at the very least on par with that quality but probably a little better. The tell will be in the quality of the leather tabs that the steel plates are riveted to. If the leather is half rotten like those gauntlets I bought from SPQR then they will need a bit more work. If the leather is decent quality then you could just get by with replacing the insert gloves. But as I purchased a pair yesterday and they are now in transit, I'll let everyone know if they are decent enough quality to work with. These would likely just be harnischfechten gauntlets for me since I'm building a newer pair of Franken-gaunts with plate pieces made by Allan Senefelder to use in Blossfechten. ;)

Sir Brian:
Update:

Okay these gauntlets are a very pleasant surprise!  :)

They fit my bear paws very well and they offer great mobility. I did some practice Meisterhau, especially the Scheitelhau and the cuff did not impede my action in the least. These are good for both harnischfechten and blossfechten but I'll use them for harnischfechten since there is no padding whatsoever. After I finish my new gauntlets for blossfechten, I'll change out the suede inserts with the deerskin ones from my old franken-gaunts.

These are a sweet deal Sir Patrick! I'd get a pair while they are in stock for this great price.
I give them two thumbs up! ;) 

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2015-02-26, 22:03:33 ---Update:

Okay these gauntlets are a very pleasant surprise!  :)

They fit my bear paws very well and they offer great mobility. I did some practice Meisterhau, especially the Scheitelhau and the cuff did not impede my action in the least. These are good for both harnischfechten and blossfechten but I'll use them for harnischfechten since there is no padding whatsoever. After I finish my new gauntlets for blossfechten, I'll change out the suede inserts with the deerskin ones from my old franken-gaunts.

This are a sweet deal Sir Patrick! I'd get a pair while they are in stock for this great price.
I give them two thumbs up! ;) 

--- End quote ---
Meow

Sir Patrick:
Thanks for the review. Time to do some shopping!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version