Main > The Armoury

How sharp should a sword be?

<< < (4/5) > >>

Thorsteinn:
Here's "Weapons That Made Britain: The Sword" hotlinked right to the time index where he does the sharpness & cutting examples.

http://youtu.be/n6Zzm0UbUm4?t=30m1s

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2015-02-24, 23:48:14 ---The knights also seem to have a couple of people of shorter stature on a rope leash. The crown makes me think king. And the random livestock makes me think that picture *might* be an after-battle spoils of war processional of sorts. They don't seem to be actively fighting.

The second picture, I'm not quite as sure. But remember artwork isn't an exact science. One guy had his helmet and skull split open, and this simple doesn't happen with swords.

And back to the original question; what were you cutting against where the sword did and did not cut? That's important.

--- End quote ---

Having the fabric laid out and trying to draw cuts on it :Didn't work.
Having It on a cardboard pole, and harder swung draw cuts. Cut pretty easily (don't worry I know paper and cardboard are bad for the edge. It was just for a test)
I think I was just fooled because I thought it would be cutting like a beast.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2015-02-24, 23:48:14 ---The knights also seem to have a couple of people of shorter stature on a rope leash.

--- End quote ---

Just as an aside for future readers-- Often this meant a difference in status or station. It's not that they captured children or midgets, but rather they're drawn smaller to show that they're a lot less important.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2015-02-25, 04:04:42 ---Here's "Weapons That Made Britain: The Sword" hotlinked right to the time index where he does the sharpness & cutting examples.

--- End quote ---

What was this supposed to link to? Starts at the beginning, I didn't see specific sharpness discussed in detail.

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote ---I didn't see specific sharpness discussed in detail.
--- End quote ---

I see that, and for what I was referencing it jumped over too. I have no idea what happened as I put in the code correctly.

The time index you're looking for is roughly 30m 1s in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version