"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: How sharp should a sword be?  (Read 13636 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: How sharp should a sword be?
« Reply #15 on: 2015-02-25, 04:04:42 »
Here's "Weapons That Made Britain: The Sword" hotlinked right to the time index where he does the sharpness & cutting examples.

http://youtu.be/n6Zzm0UbUm4?t=30m1s
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2015-02-25, 22:22:10 »
The knights also seem to have a couple of people of shorter stature on a rope leash. The crown makes me think king. And the random livestock makes me think that picture *might* be an after-battle spoils of war processional of sorts. They don't seem to be actively fighting.

The second picture, I'm not quite as sure. But remember artwork isn't an exact science. One guy had his helmet and skull split open, and this simple doesn't happen with swords.

And back to the original question; what were you cutting against where the sword did and did not cut? That's important.

Having the fabric laid out and trying to draw cuts on it :Didn't work.
Having It on a cardboard pole, and harder swung draw cuts. Cut pretty easily (don't worry I know paper and cardboard are bad for the edge. It was just for a test)
I think I was just fooled because I thought it would be cutting like a beast.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #17 on: 2015-03-02, 19:27:13 »
The knights also seem to have a couple of people of shorter stature on a rope leash.

Just as an aside for future readers-- Often this meant a difference in status or station. It's not that they captured children or midgets, but rather they're drawn smaller to show that they're a lot less important.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2015-03-03, 01:48:00 »
Here's "Weapons That Made Britain: The Sword" hotlinked right to the time index where he does the sharpness & cutting examples.

What was this supposed to link to? Starts at the beginning, I didn't see specific sharpness discussed in detail.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2015-03-03, 05:50:39 »
I didn't see specific sharpness discussed in detail.

I see that, and for what I was referencing it jumped over too. I have no idea what happened as I put in the code correctly.

The time index you're looking for is roughly 30m 1s in.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2015-03-03, 21:53:30 »

I see that, and for what I was referencing it jumped over too. I have no idea what happened as I put in the code correctly.

Ah, gotcha, where he hits the helmet and does the comparison between the 4 swords.

I think it's just how the forum handles the actual embedding, it doesn't jump automatically when played. Your code/link looks fine. :)

Naythan, don't know why this slipped my mind, but read this thread. He does tests with padded jacks, as well as mail.

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=11131
« Last Edit: 2015-03-03, 21:55:00 by Sir James A »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2015-03-04, 02:06:54 »

Ah, gotcha, where he hits the helmet and does the comparison between the 4 swords.

I think it's just how the forum handles the actual embedding, it doesn't jump automatically when played. Your code/link looks fine. :)

Naythan, don't know why this slipped my mind, but read this thread. He does tests with padded jacks, as well as mail.

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=11131
That came to my mind when making this post, but I couldn't remember where to find it. Thank you james!
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"