"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."
                -- Calvin Coolidge

Author Topic: Look what just came in the mail :D  (Read 6823 times)

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
Look what just came in the mail :D
« on: 2015-02-20, 21:34:14 »
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the second book in my collection of reference and study- material. My first one was Claude Blair, this time, it's Paul Martin.

http://imgur.com/a/shwCy
Shiny.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Look what just came in the mail :D
« Reply #1 on: 2015-02-20, 21:41:21 »
I must be a groob. I've never heard of said book.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2015-02-20, 23:14:34 »
Is that the one that has been out of print ~40 years??
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #3 on: 2015-02-20, 23:27:36 »
 :o *Drool*
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
« Reply #4 on: 2015-02-21, 00:27:40 »
http://www.amazon.com/Arms-Armour-9th-17th-Century/dp/0804800308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424478224&sr=8-1&keywords=Paul+Martin+armour

There are a few used copies in bookstores around the US it would seem, mine was such a copy, although it does lack the gorgeous sleeve, that'd be the only thing about it. Ofc there is some slight internal spine damage, but not out of harm, but out of love. Martin's is absolutely brilliant for referencing anything not specifically tied to a collection (since the collection books are better at that). It gives a nice summary and overlook of each century it deals with. And it has weapons.

And here's Claude Blair's book, more of a read than Martin's, but for textual research, it's nigh unbeatable. I'd rank it up there with a few of the recent PHD-thesis' that have shown up.

http://www.amazon.com/European-Armour-circa-1066-1700/dp/B0061CZ81M/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1424478437&sr=8-8&keywords=Claude+Blair+european
Shiny.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2015-02-21, 00:39:53 »
Nice!

I don't have that book!  I do have Claude Blair though, 1st edition, 1959.  Unfortunately it was once owned by a library so it has some library markings in it and the library numbers on the spine, but it's in awesome condition for a 56 year old book.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2015-02-21, 01:20:16 »
Nice!

I don't have that book!  I do have Claude Blair though, 1st edition, 1959.  Unfortunately it was once owned by a library so it has some library markings in it and the library numbers on the spine, but it's in awesome condition for a 56 year old book.
How does the info hold up today?
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2015-02-21, 13:17:10 »
And here's Claude Blair's book, more of a read than Martin's, but for textual research, it's nigh unbeatable. I'd rank it up there with a few of the recent PHD-thesis' that have shown up.

I would even go so far as to say that PhD theses are sometimes worse sources.  Sometimes academia is so rigid and bound to its ideas that it can have some peculiar ideas.  Academia can be very incestuous on what it thinks is right and what it promotes.  Theses also carry a certain weight that many people find difficult to question, which is dangerous when some things are clearly wrong.  For example, in one of the recent published PhD theses that included an absolute gold mine of never before seen photos, there are tons of photos of highly suspect pieces that are likely fakes.  The problem is nothing indicates they might be fakes unless you happen to know those pieces already.  So a person who doesn't will just assume all the armor photographed in there are originals and draw conclusions based on that.  Also, out of the 11 bascinets surveyed in that thesis used to measure the thickness of the skulls and visors, the majority of them are suspected fakes, so it unfortunately doesn't tell us  much about actual bascinet thickness.   But people will now cite them as originals because they're in a PhD thesis....
« Last Edit: 2015-02-21, 13:20:53 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2015-02-21, 13:20:59 »
http://www.amazon.com/Arms-Armour-9th-17th-Century/dp/0804800308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424478224&sr=8-1&keywords=Paul+Martin+armour

Wow, 1968. Older than I thought. I vaguely recalled flipping through that one at an antique arms and armor show a few years ago. Congrats on the purchase. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent