Main > The Armoury

Arms and armor 12th century sword. Two handed?

(1/4) > >>

Sir Nate:
I was looking at arms and armor site, and noticed that they have a longsword labeled as 12th century and say there are findings of that style as early as 1100. I thought the first two handed swords weren't until the 13th century? Thoughts? Are there any findings to support this....? I am a bit confused.
http://armor.com/sword089.html

Thorsteinn:
It is a sword that can be used in two hands or one like Albions 'The Duke', but probably meant for a modified pommel style of gripping when used in two hands, especially with that length of grip.

This kind of sword started appearing at the same time maille started covering ones opponents more & more.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2015-02-19, 02:23:42 ---It is a sword that can be used in two hands or one like Albions 'The Duke', but probably meant for a modified pommel style of gripping when used in two hands, especially with that length of grip.

This kind of sword started appearing at the same time maille started covering ones opponents more & more.

--- End quote ---
I'm not sure they had swords with grips this long. At least not until the latter of the 13th century

Sir James A:
At 43" overall it's around "long sword" length. The original has a 150 year span it may have been from, so 1250 is plenty within 13th century; right in the middle, actually. :)

I'm not sure if it's an outlier statistically, but remember there is "common" and "happened but not commonly".

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2015-02-19, 23:19:32 ---I'm not sure if it's an outlier statistically, but remember there is "common" and "happened but not commonly".

--- End quote ---

That's my understanding, that "longswords" existed as early as the 12th, but weren't very common.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version