Main > The Armoury

Some help with a new helmet please

<< < (2/2)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Henrik Granlid on 2015-02-15, 17:52:39 ---There should be a retailer somewhere in the US, otherwise, you've got something to look for.
--- End quote ---

Kinda. :) "By the Sword" is a retailer for Marshal Historical, but they don't carry the whole line; or that helmet, last I looked.

And as a heads up, if you buy direct from The Time Seller, be ready for potential shipping above and beyond what you actually see. I bought a helmet from them last year, shipping was about $60 at checkout. Then I got an email from them that it was something like $23 extra after they "recalculated" (ok...).

Then *after* I got the helmet, about a week later I got a bill from UPS. Customs dues of about $15. So I paid almost $100 in the end, to ship a helmet of similar price as above.

I emailed the seller, who dodged the question about why I paid one price at checkout and had to pay extra later (since it had my shipping address to calculate costs, and there is NO mention of "estimated shipping" either... but I didn't want to deal with getting a paypal refund on an international purchase). They did say there is nothing they can do about the customs charge, but there is conveniently nothing on the site that I could find that says there are customs fees for exporting - it only mentions the VAT (Euro tax).

Darn sexy helmet though!

Sir Hancz:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2015-02-15, 20:04:20 ---
--- Quote from: Henrik Granlid on 2015-02-15, 17:52:39 ---There should be a retailer somewhere in the US, otherwise, you've got something to look for.
--- End quote ---

Kinda. :) "By the Sword" is a retailer for Marshal Historical, but they don't carry the whole line; or that helmet, last I looked.

And as a heads up, if you buy direct from The Time Seller, be ready for potential shipping above and beyond what you actually see. I bought a helmet from them last year, shipping was about $60 at checkout. Then I got an email from them that it was something like $23 extra after they "recalculated" (ok...).

Then *after* I got the helmet, about a week later I got a bill from UPS. Customs dues of about $15. So I paid almost $100 in the end, to ship a helmet of similar price as above.

I emailed the seller, who dodged the question about why I paid one price at checkout and had to pay extra later (since it had my shipping address to calculate costs, and there is NO mention of "estimated shipping" either... but I didn't want to deal with getting a paypal refund on an international purchase). They did say there is nothing they can do about the customs charge, but there is conveniently nothing on the site that I could find that says there are customs fees for exporting - it only mentions the VAT (Euro tax).

Darn sexy helmet though!

--- End quote ---

Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I will eventually scrounge up enough money to buy it somewhere close to december or 2016. The bascinets are my favorite helms, and the grand bascinet is just a beauty!

Henrik Granlid:
Ask around and see if marking the package as sporting equipment, collector's item or gift would effect the customs pricing on it. Also remember to email the retailer to ask if you need to pay VAT since it's aan EU company and you're ordering from the US, far as I understand it, some pages actually subtract the vat if you order from the states.

Basically, communicate with them and teach yourself about international shopping.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version