"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Some help with a new helmet please  (Read 5447 times)

Sir Hancz

• New Forum Member
  • Knight
Some help with a new helmet please
« on: 2015-02-15, 07:08:44 »
Hey guys, i'm back, and i'm looking for a new helmet, so some suggestions would be appreciated. I'm looking for a new pig face bascinet, typically one for under 400 or 300$. I want a bascinet that is very well made, has a detachable visor like most back then did, and one that was used during 1350-1450. Thanks, any suggestions would be appreciated, and as always, I appreciate your support immensely.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-15, 07:09:28 by Sir Hancz »
"A true knight is full of bravery in the midst, than in the beginning of danger."~ Philip Sidney

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
Re: Some help with a new helmet please
« Reply #1 on: 2015-02-15, 10:55:17 »
Could you try narrowing the era a bit more? Right now you're asking for suggestions for a good military rifle from somewhere between 1915 and 201,  try to narrow it to a 30 or 20 year period.

Also, do you want it with a center hinge or a side pivot?

What are you going to use it for? That is, is there a thickness requirement?
Shiny.

Sir Hancz

• New Forum Member
  • Knight
« Reply #2 on: 2015-02-15, 17:20:31 »
Could you try narrowing the era a bit more? Right now you're asking for suggestions for a good military rifle from somewhere between 1915 and 201,  try to narrow it to a 30 or 20 year period.

Also, do you want it with a center hinge or a side pivot?

What are you going to use it for? That is, is there a thickness requirement?

Yes, my apologies for not narrowing it down any more than I did, maybe a bascinet used during the battle of agincourt 1415. I would like it to have a side pivot, as most of them usually did. The thickness does not matter to much, as I am just collecting armors. Thanks for helping me out!
« Last Edit: 2015-02-15, 17:25:47 by Sir Hancz »
"A true knight is full of bravery in the midst, than in the beginning of danger."~ Philip Sidney

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
« Reply #3 on: 2015-02-15, 17:52:39 »
Well, Marshal Historica makes an allright grand bascinet, which would've been the height of fashion during the Battle of Agincourt, alongside possible Kastenbrust kits and their proto-closehelms.

There's of course always different bascinets that aren't super new as well, but if you want something iconic, a grand bascinet from marshal Historica should fit your budget.

http://www.thetimeseller.com/product/6398/0/0/1/2/Great-Bascinet-1400-1450.htm

There should be a retailer somewhere in the US, otherwise, you've got something to look for.
Shiny.

Sir Hancz

• New Forum Member
  • Knight
« Reply #4 on: 2015-02-15, 17:55:02 »
Well, Marshal Historica makes an allright grand bascinet, which would've been the height of fashion during the Battle of Agincourt, alongside possible Kastenbrust kits and their proto-closehelms.

There's of course always different bascinets that aren't super new as well, but if you want something iconic, a grand bascinet from marshal Historica should fit your budget.

http://www.thetimeseller.com/product/6398/0/0/1/2/Great-Bascinet-1400-1450.htm

There should be a retailer somewhere in the US, otherwise, you've got something to look for.

That is exactly what I wanted actually, thank you very much for your help!

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2015-02-15, 20:04:20 »

Kinda. :) "By the Sword" is a retailer for Marshal Historical, but they don't carry the whole line; or that helmet, last I looked.

And as a heads up, if you buy direct from The Time Seller, be ready for potential shipping above and beyond what you actually see. I bought a helmet from them last year, shipping was about $60 at checkout. Then I got an email from them that it was something like $23 extra after they "recalculated" (ok...).

Then *after* I got the helmet, about a week later I got a bill from UPS. Customs dues of about $15. So I paid almost $100 in the end, to ship a helmet of similar price as above.

I emailed the seller, who dodged the question about why I paid one price at checkout and had to pay extra later (since it had my shipping address to calculate costs, and there is NO mention of "estimated shipping" either... but I didn't want to deal with getting a paypal refund on an international purchase). They did say there is nothing they can do about the customs charge, but there is conveniently nothing on the site that I could find that says there are customs fees for exporting - it only mentions the VAT (Euro tax).

Darn sexy helmet though!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Hancz

• New Forum Member
  • Knight
« Reply #6 on: 2015-02-15, 20:24:02 »

Kinda. :) "By the Sword" is a retailer for Marshal Historical, but they don't carry the whole line; or that helmet, last I looked.

And as a heads up, if you buy direct from The Time Seller, be ready for potential shipping above and beyond what you actually see. I bought a helmet from them last year, shipping was about $60 at checkout. Then I got an email from them that it was something like $23 extra after they "recalculated" (ok...).

Then *after* I got the helmet, about a week later I got a bill from UPS. Customs dues of about $15. So I paid almost $100 in the end, to ship a helmet of similar price as above.

I emailed the seller, who dodged the question about why I paid one price at checkout and had to pay extra later (since it had my shipping address to calculate costs, and there is NO mention of "estimated shipping" either... but I didn't want to deal with getting a paypal refund on an international purchase). They did say there is nothing they can do about the customs charge, but there is conveniently nothing on the site that I could find that says there are customs fees for exporting - it only mentions the VAT (Euro tax).

Darn sexy helmet though!

Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I will eventually scrounge up enough money to buy it somewhere close to december or 2016. The bascinets are my favorite helms, and the grand bascinet is just a beauty!

Henrik Granlid

• Peacock extraordinaire
  • Forum Member
  • Another 14th century
« Reply #7 on: 2015-02-16, 01:26:00 »
Ask around and see if marking the package as sporting equipment, collector's item or gift would effect the customs pricing on it. Also remember to email the retailer to ask if you need to pay VAT since it's aan EU company and you're ordering from the US, far as I understand it, some pages actually subtract the vat if you order from the states.

Basically, communicate with them and teach yourself about international shopping.
Shiny.