Main > The Armoury

Help with a crusader Knight set

<< < (6/7) > >>

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2015-02-15, 20:16:50 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Naythan on 2015-02-15, 18:52:03 ---
--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2015-02-11, 22:46:30 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Naythan on 2015-02-11, 21:20:49 --- I just didn't think a blade type that is a little different wouldn't be that bad if the hilt matches up alright.

--- End quote ---

That's like saying it's ok for a Civil War reenactor to use a Brown Bess instead of a 1861 Springfield because they both have walnut stocks.

cutting corners in the reenacting world is a very risky thing

--- End quote ---

Not quite. An early 13th century kit isn't for a particular war or year, So there is more leeway. But Ill be standardized.

--- End quote ---

If I understood what Baron is saying, I think you missed his point. It isn't that a particular weapon in the 13th century needs to be used in a particular war, it's that for a common recreation, the weapon used should be:

* Common to the time
* Common to the area
* Common to the wealth / status / position you are portraying

A Teutonic knight of 1271 would not go to war using a fireplace poker. Using one because an extant piece exists in a museum dated the same decade as your persona is a huge leap to think that means it is correct for your particular impression. :)

--- End quote ---

I still don't view that as a good comparison.
Especially since the area wouldn't be 1271.
Well Ill ask, If I did a kit, set between 1200 and 1215, Would a type XI Blade, be acceptable for an English knight.

Sir James A:
You're getting closer, but still off. :)

Blade typology is only part. This is what Baron was talking about when he said that two guns aren't the same because they have the same type of stock. You have to talk pommel, crossguard, etc, as an entire sword style.

Find out what entire swords were common to the time, place and persona, and you'll have the answer. Effigies and artwork like you've referenced before are great for that.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2015-02-15, 22:39:51 ---You're getting closer, but still off. :)

Blade typology is only part. This is what Baron was talking about when he said that two guns aren't the same because they have the same type of stock. You have to talk pommel, crossguard, etc, as an entire sword style.

Find out what entire swords were common to the time, place and persona, and you'll have the answer. Effigies and artwork like you've referenced before are great for that.

--- End quote ---
I Will.
Don't be surprised If I prove myself wrong!
;)

Sir Ulrich:
I use a type X sword for 13th century reenacting and it looks fine. Then again i'm doing germany, though type X's were used up to 1300. Many swords were passed down or rehilted. Stuff wasnt just "thrown away" like people do now. It was passed down and used as much as possible. So I think you're fine to use the hospitaller for early 13th. Now for later centuries like the 14th or 15th I dont think anyone knightly would use those types of swords, as armor changed quite a bit. During the maille era it changed little, so I would say you could get away with using swords from the 11th and 12th centuries in the 13th. The opposite way however I would NEVER do. Using a 14th century sword in the 13th would be bad.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2015-02-17, 21:20:04 --- The opposite way however I would NEVER do. Using a 14th century sword in the 13th would be bad.

--- End quote ---
Unless your a wizard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version