Main > The Armoury

Help with a crusader Knight set

<< < (5/7) > >>

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir Douglas on 2015-02-11, 17:46:45 ---
--- Quote from: Ian on 2015-02-11, 12:26:15 ---Oakeshott typology is specific to blade geometry.  It is not coupled with hilting and pommel typology.

--- End quote ---

I actually did not know that. I had always thought it was the whole shebang — blade, hilt, pommel, crossguard — that made something a "Type **". But then, I admit I've not devoted much study to swords, and I've never been able to keep all that typology stuff straight anyway. :)

--- End quote ---

Before this point disappears completely, Oakeshott also had a typology for hilt components, but it's not as widely known.

If you look at MyArmoury's article on Oakeshott, you can see some of this on pages 3 through 5:

http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_oakeshott.html

Sir Ulrich:
Actually Albion Europe's site says the Ritter is good from 1225 to 1275.
Personally Germany actually held onto older styles more, so using it for 13th century stuff is perfectly fine. Not sure about France and England though. Not sure if it's period for the 12th century though, thats why I have my Reeve.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2015-02-11, 22:46:30 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Naythan on 2015-02-11, 21:20:49 --- I just didn't think a blade type that is a little different wouldn't be that bad if the hilt matches up alright.

--- End quote ---

That's like saying it's ok for a Civil War reenactor to use a Brown Bess instead of a 1861 Springfield because they both have walnut stocks.

cutting corners in the reenacting world is a very risky thing

--- End quote ---

Not quite. An early 13th century kit isn't for a particular war or year, So there is more leeway. But Ill be standardized.
--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2015-02-13, 01:55:25 ---Actually Albion Europe's site says the Ritter is good from 1225 to 1275.
Personally Germany actually held onto older styles more, so using it for 13th century stuff is perfectly fine. Not sure about France and England though. Not sure if it's period for the 12th century though, thats why I have my Reeve.

--- End quote ---

Maybe if I do a Teutonic or german kit.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Naythan on 2015-02-15, 18:52:03 ---
--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2015-02-11, 22:46:30 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Naythan on 2015-02-11, 21:20:49 --- I just didn't think a blade type that is a little different wouldn't be that bad if the hilt matches up alright.

--- End quote ---

That's like saying it's ok for a Civil War reenactor to use a Brown Bess instead of a 1861 Springfield because they both have walnut stocks.

cutting corners in the reenacting world is a very risky thing

--- End quote ---

Not quite. An early 13th century kit isn't for a particular war or year, So there is more leeway. But Ill be standardized.

--- End quote ---

If I understood what Baron is saying, I think you missed his point. It isn't that a particular weapon in the 13th century needs to be used in a particular war, it's that for a common recreation, the weapon used should be:

* Common to the time
* Common to the area
* Common to the wealth / status / position you are portraying

A Teutonic knight of 1271 would not go to war using a fireplace poker. Using one because an extant piece exists in a museum dated the same decade as your persona is a huge leap to think that means it is correct for your particular impression. :)

Mike W.:
Thank you, James. You get my point at least.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version