"Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense".
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Help with a crusader Knight set  (Read 15762 times)

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
Re: Help with a crusader Knight set
« Reply #15 on: 2015-02-11, 17:46:45 »
Oakeshott typology is specific to blade geometry.  It is not coupled with hilting and pommel typology.

I actually did not know that. I had always thought it was the whole shebang — blade, hilt, pommel, crossguard — that made something a "Type **". But then, I admit I've not devoted much study to swords, and I've never been able to keep all that typology stuff straight anyway. :)
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2015-02-11, 20:08:27 »
I take the word over Ewart Oakeshott who designed the typology system over the Albion website. I know Peter Johanson is a reputable man however. The problem with the Ritter is that it's heavily based on one particular piece. That particular piece was an outlier in the typology and never quite fit into any category. Unless one is going for a very detailed and specific impression, its usually best to choose items for one's kit based on what's representative and common for the era/persona being portrayed.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2015-02-11, 21:05:26 »
And here's another bit of food for thought: Just because a piece dates to a specific range does not necessarily make its use in historical recreation appropriate. Take the Henry Repeating Rifle for example. At the 150th anniversary reenactment at Gettysburg, I saw a dismounted cavalryman using a Henry (there's a long list of things wrong with his impression, but I'll focus on his weapon). The Henry Rifle was designed and later manufactured in 1860, the Battle of Gettysburg was fought in 1863. Therefore, a Henry rifle is period correct. That doesn't make it's use appropriate though. Henrys were adopted by the Union Army in 1864 and on a very small and limited scale. This man saw a cool looking rifle, he wanted to stand out from his comrades and show of this cool expensive rifle, and he saw M1860 Henry Repeating Rifle and that was about as much research as he did to verify its period correctness. As such he had a really crappy impression.

The Ritter is an outlier weapon. It is not one I'd recommend if one is going for an impression generic knight of the Third Crusade. If, however, that one finds irrefutable evidence of a knight who had a weapon near identical in its blade profile and fittings to the Ritter, I'd say go for it. But only if he also adopted that particular knight's armor, heraldry, and history into his impression. If someone asks him, "What are you?" he should answer, "I'm Sir So-and-So" rather than "I'm a knight of the Third Crusade".

My overall point is this - go for what's generic, mundane, and representative as that is what we know most about. If you want to be an outlier or be different, you better have enough documentation to pull off a fool-proof persona. People will ask you questions about everything. It's a lot easier to answer questions about the average knight, or the average soldier, or the average merchant, or the average upperclass woman, than it is to answer questions about a particular person. I can tell you right off the top of my head what a typical Union soldier might have eaten, but I can't tell you what General Francis Meagher ate before the Battle of Fredericksburg. I can tell you how a particular Norman knight may have been armed and equipped, but I can't tell you exactly what Sir Wadard carried into battle at Hastings. So for that reason, I have chosen generic impressions as they give the general population a better idea of what the past was like. Some people are bored with generic impressions and can't find enough evidence to form one of a particular figure, so instead they invent a fictional personna and spread their fiction (rather than documented history) to the general and do what is called "First Person". I could go on with my deep-seated hatred for first person impressions, but that would derail the thread.

Sir Hancz requested help in a realistic (I read "generic and representative" here) kit of a knight during the Third Crusade. He has not given anymore details in that regard, so to be most representative, he would probably be an English knight of low to middle social standing. Let's face it, none of us would be able to afford the kit of a wealthy knight. As a soft kit goes, he should stick to bright contrasting colors. His surcoat should be monocolored with the main color of his blazon. The helm may or may not be painted. A gambeson would be acceptable, and the maille should be fairly standard flat wire with dome rivets. It should have integrated mittens and coif with ventail. The shield should be a flat-topped kite shield. The sword can either be an early Type XII or a late Type XI. I'd go with a Type XII personally. In portraying a generic role, he would be able to give the general public a more holistic view of the Crusades experience, than if he was portraying one particular outlying knight.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2015-02-11, 21:20:49 »
Naythan, you may be confusing your sword typology a bit.  Oakeshott typology is specific to blade geometry.  It is not coupled with hilting and pommel typology.  So a type X blade may have a lobed viking style pommel or a brazil nut pommel later on, and then a wheel pommel.  And they overlap in time as well.

So looking through a manuscript at pommel shapes doesn't tell you much about the oakeshott blade typology directly.  You seem to want to make a direct correlation between the two, but it doesn't work that way. 

Type XII swords are some of the most common blade types and they last hundreds of years, with all different and changing hilt configurations and pommel shapes.

Also, blade profiles don't tell you the whole story, and that's really all you can see in manuscripts.  Profile taper may be similar between two blade types, if you can't see or reasonably make an educated guess at cross-section, and fuller shapes you again don't have the whole picture. 

Ya I realized that while researching. (Btw when I say type XI, I mean a sword resembling the Hospitaller, and a sword Resembling the Albion 13th century knightly sword).
I thought we were discussing pommel styles mainly.... That is a my bad. yes I agree type XI BLADE, is mainly late 12th.

And here's another bit of food for thought: Just because a piece dates to a specific range does not necessarily make its use in historical recreation appropriate. Take the Henry Repeating Rifle for example. At the 150th anniversary reenactment at Gettysburg, I saw a dismounted cavalryman using a Henry (there's a long list of things wrong with his impression, but I'll focus on his weapon). The Henry Rifle was designed and later manufactured in 1860, the Battle of Gettysburg was fought in 1863. Therefore, a Henry rifle is period correct. That doesn't make it's use appropriate though. Henrys were adopted by the Union Army in 1864 and on a very small and limited scale. This man saw a cool looking rifle, he wanted to stand out from his comrades and show of this cool expensive rifle, and he saw M1860 Henry Repeating Rifle and that was about as much research as he did to verify its period correctness. As such he had a really crappy impression.

The Ritter is an outlier weapon. It is not one I'd recommend if one is going for an impression generic knight of the Third Crusade. If, however, that one finds irrefutable evidence of a knight who had a weapon near identical in its blade profile and fittings to the Ritter, I'd say go for it. But only if he also adopted that particular knight's armor, heraldry, and history into his impression. If someone asks him, "What are you?" he should answer, "I'm Sir So-and-So" rather than "I'm a knight of the Third Crusade".

My overall point is this - go for what's generic, mundane, and representative as that is what we know most about. If you want to be an outlier or be different, you better have enough documentation to pull off a fool-proof persona. People will ask you questions about everything. It's a lot easier to answer questions about the average knight, or the average soldier, or the average merchant, or the average upperclass woman, than it is to answer questions about a particular person. I can tell you right off the top of my head what a typical Union soldier might have eaten, but I can't tell you what General Francis Meagher ate before the Battle of Fredericksburg. I can tell you how a particular Norman knight may have been armed and equipped, but I can't tell you exactly what Sir Wadard carried into battle at Hastings. So for that reason, I have chosen generic impressions as they give the general population a better idea of what the past was like. Some people are bored with generic impressions and can't find enough evidence to form one of a particular figure, so instead they invent a fictional personna and spread their fiction (rather than documented history) to the general and do what is called "First Person". I could go on with my deep-seated hatred for first person impressions, but that would derail the thread.

Sir Hancz requested help in a realistic (I read "generic and representative" here) kit of a knight during the Third Crusade. He has not given anymore details in that regard, so to be most representative, he would probably be an English knight of low to middle social standing. Let's face it, none of us would be able to afford the kit of a wealthy knight. As a soft kit goes, he should stick to bright contrasting colors. His surcoat should be monocolored with the main color of his blazon. The helm may or may not be painted. A gambeson would be acceptable, and the maille should be fairly standard flat wire with dome rivets. It should have integrated mittens and coif with ventail. The shield should be a flat-topped kite shield. The sword can either be an early Type XII or a late Type XI. I'd go with a Type XII personally. In portraying a generic role, he would be able to give the general public a more holistic view of the Crusades experience, than if he was portraying one particular outlying knight.

I mainly try to do that. I just didn't think a blade type that is a little different wouldn't be that bad if the hilt matches up alright. Say If I am at a re-enactment event. Though I guess Ill get my throat slit by a Type XII if I have a type XI.  ;)

Sorry for the confusion....
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2015-02-11, 22:46:30 »
I just didn't think a blade type that is a little different wouldn't be that bad if the hilt matches up alright.

That's like saying it's ok for a Civil War reenactor to use a Brown Bess instead of a 1861 Springfield because they both have walnut stocks.

cutting corners in the reenacting world is a very risky thing

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #20 on: 2015-02-12, 14:19:56 »
Oakeshott typology is specific to blade geometry.  It is not coupled with hilting and pommel typology.

I actually did not know that. I had always thought it was the whole shebang — blade, hilt, pommel, crossguard — that made something a "Type **". But then, I admit I've not devoted much study to swords, and I've never been able to keep all that typology stuff straight anyway. :)

Before this point disappears completely, Oakeshott also had a typology for hilt components, but it's not as widely known.

If you look at MyArmoury's article on Oakeshott, you can see some of this on pages 3 through 5:

http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_oakeshott.html
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2015-02-13, 01:55:25 »
Actually Albion Europe's site says the Ritter is good from 1225 to 1275.
Personally Germany actually held onto older styles more, so using it for 13th century stuff is perfectly fine. Not sure about France and England though. Not sure if it's period for the 12th century though, thats why I have my Reeve.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2015-02-15, 18:52:03 »
I just didn't think a blade type that is a little different wouldn't be that bad if the hilt matches up alright.

That's like saying it's ok for a Civil War reenactor to use a Brown Bess instead of a 1861 Springfield because they both have walnut stocks.

Not quite. An early 13th century kit isn't for a particular war or year, So there is more leeway. But Ill be standardized.
Actually Albion Europe's site says the Ritter is good from 1225 to 1275.
Personally Germany actually held onto older styles more, so using it for 13th century stuff is perfectly fine. Not sure about France and England though. Not sure if it's period for the 12th century though, thats why I have my Reeve.

Maybe if I do a Teutonic or german kit.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2015-02-15, 20:16:50 »

Not quite. An early 13th century kit isn't for a particular war or year, So there is more leeway. But Ill be standardized.

If I understood what Baron is saying, I think you missed his point. It isn't that a particular weapon in the 13th century needs to be used in a particular war, it's that for a common recreation, the weapon used should be:

* Common to the time
* Common to the area
* Common to the wealth / status / position you are portraying

A Teutonic knight of 1271 would not go to war using a fireplace poker. Using one because an extant piece exists in a museum dated the same decade as your persona is a huge leap to think that means it is correct for your particular impression. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2015-02-15, 20:38:17 »
Thank you, James. You get my point at least.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #25 on: 2015-02-15, 21:58:18 »

If I understood what Baron is saying, I think you missed his point. It isn't that a particular weapon in the 13th century needs to be used in a particular war, it's that for a common recreation, the weapon used should be:

* Common to the time
* Common to the area
* Common to the wealth / status / position you are portraying

A Teutonic knight of 1271 would not go to war using a fireplace poker. Using one because an extant piece exists in a museum dated the same decade as your persona is a huge leap to think that means it is correct for your particular impression. :)

I still don't view that as a good comparison.
Especially since the area wouldn't be 1271.
Well Ill ask, If I did a kit, set between 1200 and 1215, Would a type XI Blade, be acceptable for an English knight.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2015-02-15, 22:39:51 »
You're getting closer, but still off. :)

Blade typology is only part. This is what Baron was talking about when he said that two guns aren't the same because they have the same type of stock. You have to talk pommel, crossguard, etc, as an entire sword style.

Find out what entire swords were common to the time, place and persona, and you'll have the answer. Effigies and artwork like you've referenced before are great for that.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2015-02-16, 22:32:33 »
You're getting closer, but still off. :)

Blade typology is only part. This is what Baron was talking about when he said that two guns aren't the same because they have the same type of stock. You have to talk pommel, crossguard, etc, as an entire sword style.

Find out what entire swords were common to the time, place and persona, and you'll have the answer. Effigies and artwork like you've referenced before are great for that.
I Will.
Don't be surprised If I prove myself wrong!
;)
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #28 on: 2015-02-17, 21:20:04 »
I use a type X sword for 13th century reenacting and it looks fine. Then again i'm doing germany, though type X's were used up to 1300. Many swords were passed down or rehilted. Stuff wasnt just "thrown away" like people do now. It was passed down and used as much as possible. So I think you're fine to use the hospitaller for early 13th. Now for later centuries like the 14th or 15th I dont think anyone knightly would use those types of swords, as armor changed quite a bit. During the maille era it changed little, so I would say you could get away with using swords from the 11th and 12th centuries in the 13th. The opposite way however I would NEVER do. Using a 14th century sword in the 13th would be bad.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2015-02-18, 23:10:31 »
The opposite way however I would NEVER do. Using a 14th century sword in the 13th would be bad.
Unless your a wizard.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order