Main > The Armoury

Help with a crusader Knight set

(1/7) > >>

Sir Hancz:
Hey guys, i'm looking for a crusader knight set that is realistic, and is quite affordable. I'm starting my first kit based on the crusades because its a cool time period, and it will be relatively cheap compared to the full plate armors. I was thinking something like a great helm, and some mail, with a sword and shield. A list of something realistic would be much appreciated! Thank you for your time gentlemen/women. :)

Sir William:
Hmm...what do you consider affordable?  You can get decent maille from allbeststuff, as decent as can be had off the shelf, that is.  Full hauberk and coif (integral, not integral is a long running discussion).  If you can figure out how much you want to spend on it all, it'll be easier to decide which way to go.  Take the sword, for instance- there's a good selection of Crusades-era blades (depending on which Crusade you're looking to portray) and prices range from $100 on up; mine is an Albion Arn sword dubbed 'IRAE' with a DBK custom scabbard, for which I paid $1850 (1000 for sword, 850 for scabbard), which doesn't include shipping, by the way.  The Windlass Classic Medieval Sword is a pretty decent option and you can usually get it on the cheap if you keep an eye out.  Full price is $195 on MRL's site but you can get it for less.  A stout type X with a curved flattened cross, single hand grip, wheel pommel, peened construction.  A good sword.  So that covers maille and sword, you'll also need your surcoat and cloak which you should have no problems sourcing, there's a lot out there to choose from.  For a helm, you'll want to drill down which Crusade you're going for because armor changed over the course of the Crusades.  1st Crusaders would've been wearing simple nasal helms, some spangen style with no nasal would've been present.  What else?  Prick spurs, not rowels...ankle boots (even though I wear tall boots, its anachronistic, not historical).  And of course, your under garments- linen is most comfortable and you'd need a coif, tunic, braes, hosen for next to skin.  Now, I like to wear a lightly padded gambeson over that to help deal with the weight of my maille but there's been discussion on whether or not they were worn then, if at all.  It makes it more comfortable for me, ymmv.  I use Oakheart Armoury for my shield needs- they can set up blanks or full-on custom and pretty much anything in between.  Early crusades would've been Norman kite/tear drop style, heater style came later...no rounds, so far as I know.

As you know, the more historically accurate you want it to be, the more expensive it can get- it all depends on how far you want to go down that road (and how much of your pocket you'd like to empty).  Good luck!

Mike W.:
This is a list of the basics you'll need for a kit (circa 1187)

SOFT KIT:
•   St. Louis Shirt
•   Braies
•   Hose
•   Tunic
•   Coif
•   Surcoat
•   Cloak
•   Gambeson
•   Arming Cap
•   Felt Cap
•   Turn Shoes/Boots

HARD KIT:
•   Maille Hauberk with integral coif and mittens - Flat Wire Riveted (dome riveted) with alternateFlat Ring Solid
•   Maille Chausses - Flat Wire Riveted (dome riveted) with alternate Flat Ring Solid
•   Transitional Pot Helm
•   Flat-Top Kite Shield

WEAPONS:
•   Oakeschott Type XII with Scabbard
•   Spear
•   Dagger

ACCOUTREMENTS:
•   Belt (preferably brown, no more than 1" wide)
•   Varius pouches
•   Water container (skin, gourd, pottery)
•   Spurs (short pricks)

ACCESSORIES:
•   Pennon
•   Pater Noster
•   Utility Knife
•   Cross necklace

Ian:
Give us a more specific time period.  Crusades covers multiple centuries, and kits changed significantly over the course of those centuries, and by location.

Sir Hancz:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2015-02-06, 15:13:53 ---Give us a more specific time period.  Crusades covers multiple centuries, and kits changed significantly over the course of those centuries, and by location.

--- End quote ---

I was thinking the third crusade.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version