Main > The Armoury

ABS maille and improving my kit.

<< < (2/9) > >>

Mike W.:
How about jousting with maille only? I mean, what could go wrong?

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Naythan on 2015-02-01, 21:31:10 ---What if they are double mail mittens?
Hmm When do the first plate gauntlets appear?

--- End quote ---

Because modern combat amounts to every weapon being blunt force trauma, the reality is that maille is only partially protective.  It will protect you from abrasions and things like that, but it will not protect against a whack with steel or rattan against delicate bones like your phalanges.  What is protecting those delicate bones is rigid defense.  It's the rigidity that is dispersing impact force and preventing bones from bending in ways they shouldn't.  Without those two things, your fingers will break.  So, in order for maille to really protect your fingers, you'd have to have enough layers to make it rigid, which defeats the entire purpose of maille.  It would also become so heavy at that point it would be doubly self-defeating because the mitten would become a weight on a long lever arm (in this case your actual arm) rendering the protection too unwieldy. 

In the real middle ages, knights of the maille era were more worried about protecting their hands from cutting and slashing wounds that were incidental in combat.  But if someone took a full on swing to their hand they new it was going to break or at least be pretty damaged.  It was also the best they had for a long swath of time.  Since we're more concerned with sport safety in what we do (we're not looking to kill, injure or maim people) maille is always a poor choice for hand protection.  Even if hands are 'illegal targets' they just tend to get hit by accident too frequently to leave it to chance.

Sir Ulrich:
Welp I took the measurements. Turns out off the rack it should fit me totally fine. Now I am not sure if I should get it with the chausses or without. I mean if my legs grow from my workout routine I think having a spare set would be beneficial for the future. My parents actually dont mind that I am doing this surprisingly, they actually were supportive of it. Ever since I started working out more they think wearing armor helps me build up my body so both of them think it's good for me. Both of them also seemed open to me trying WMA and stuff as well. In all honesty I just dont know if 45 pounds (which the hauberk weighs) is too much.

My sleeve length  is 23 maybe just 21 to be honest cause the sleeve goes over my hand a bit.
All the way around the armpit is 21 inches, and around my wrists at the bottom it's 11.5
MY hand would be 8.5 inches and my chest size is 38.5

--- Quote ---Chain Mail Shirt: 16G 9MM
Chest Size: 52 inch
This is a comfort fit for someone with actual chest size of 42 inches
Sleeve Length from Armpit: 20 inch + 8 inches of Mittens (4 fingers & thumb seperate)
Mittens will have chain mail at the back & leather palms
Sleeve Circumference: 20 inch at armpit tapered to 12 inches at wrist
Overall Length from Shoulder: 42 inch
7 inches split at bottom front & back for leg movement
--- End quote ---
Not sure how well those would fit but it looks pretty damn close apart from the chest size being 52 instead.  Pretty sure that would be fine though cause my other hauberk is a comfortable fit for 48 inch chest and this one says 42 inch chest.

Sir William:
His measurements leave a bit to be desired- 52" is the measurement it will be after you have on all of your arming wear and under clothing, around the outside.  If you have a 42" chest, the seller assumes that the 52" should fit- and it should, unless you're into extra large/heavy padding which will increase your measurement.

Sir Ulrich:
So I should be fine with the measurements? I got a 38 1/2 inch chest when it comes to having my gambeson on. I mean my other hauberk was 48 inch chest and fit me just fine. Maybe I should just ask them to make the chest size smaller? But I am a bit cautious about that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version