Main > The Armoury

Buying/wearing Mail

<< < (2/2)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2015-01-19, 12:58:56 ---Garters on mine worked fine too, you could use leather ties but I like the look of garters more, especially with them matching my heraldry, I know a maker who could make you a pair of them for a good price.

--- End quote ---

The garters idea sounds neat, do you have pics? Did you take it off an effigy or historical source?

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2015-01-19, 22:24:23 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2015-01-19, 12:58:56 ---Garters on mine worked fine too, you could use leather ties but I like the look of garters more, especially with them matching my heraldry, I know a maker who could make you a pair of them for a good price.

--- End quote ---

The garters idea sounds neat, do you have pics? Did you take it off an effigy or historical source?

--- End quote ---

Are you referring to the belt/garter braies or for the chausses? If you were wandering what I was talking about it was in reference to this:  http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,3427.0.html

*EDIT: This was the mail I was interested in buying: http://allbeststuff.com/c-medieval-chainmail-armor/c-chain-mail-shirt-coif-set/Round-Riveted-Links-with-Solid-Washers-Chain-Mail-Full-Suit-Body-Armor

Sir Ulrich:

They're around my lower legs in this pic and are visible. I am not sure if they were used historically but it's a lot more sightly than random leather straps. Adam Carnahan on facebook helped me get them and they work quite well.

EDIT, Yeah Aiden, that one should be fine. Just be sure to ask for a leather palm for the integrated mittens or you'll be stuck with maille on the palms. I almost want to pick myself up a set of that maille just to see the quality of how their hauberks with integrated mittens and coifs look. Pull off something similar to what Frater Rogerson did at DoK, rather than my usual 1270s kit. Still have yet to find a decent source for a historical early great helm with the face plate only. Everywhere I see seems to sell them with back plates and the GDFB ones I hate, they're too heavy.

Sir James A:
Thanks Ulrich, that red/black/white really syncs up nicely with your heraldry. Looks good!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version