"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Katana vs. Longsword  (Read 36285 times)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Katana vs. Longsword
« Reply #30 on: 2016-07-20, 02:06:34 »
However they lost as well. From the accounts I read it ended up being a bit of a draw in the long run. Though the vid does show a man really using better martial arts. A good Kendoka would know that back even 70 years ago they used trips, grabs, and so forth and thus would also at least have studied some kenjitsu to understand the why. I did notice that he was not thrusting which may mean he is not high enough rank to use thrusts in tournament.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #31 on: 2016-07-22, 04:08:46 »
The summation of this debate, who ever skillfully wields the sword (either Katana or Longsword) shows the better example of the usage of that sword.  Honestly instead of all this verbal cabbage soup being brewed and mixed with the spices of opinion.  How about a full course Tournament or match and see for ourselves the best Katana swordsman versus the best HEMA Swordsman.  Give me that instead of Youtube lol.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2016-07-31, 03:40:05 »
Portugeuse also had a completely different outlook on military battles and was something the Samurai were not used to encountering, since they were a nearly isolated island for many centuries
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent