Main > The Armoury

Voiders, skirt and breastplate?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Henrik Granlid:
Yeah, a backplate or full haubergon will be vital for an accurate kit, of course I could always go the route of less work and much awesome and do something like this amazing thing:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcovdz/7240477238/in/set-72157624796581556

Sigh. Deciding for or gainst breastplate, for or against haubergon and for or against a fitted coat of plate. It's all such a nightmare. Can't I simply win some millions and get it over with?

Sir James A:
Segmented 7-piece Churburg on the right, early Coat of Plates on the left. Neither one seems to have mail sleeve of any kind, I think the churburg guy has a fauld. Not sure if that's historically accurate or not; I don't think so, but just my opinion and no sources to back it.

Get in line for the millions... I've been waiting on that for over a decade. :D

Sir Rodney:
That bascinet looks familiar...   ;)

Ian’s correct about the documentation for my sleeves & skirt.

I have a beautiful customized globose breastplate from the Merc Tailor collecting dust because I don’t have a full hauberk of riveted mail to go with it.  Sleeves and skirt would look silly from the backside with the breastplate.   :o

I’ve gone round and round trying to find documentation of a globose breast being worn with a back plate (of any variety) to no avail.   :(

Henrik Granlid:
http://s48.radikal.ru/i119/1109/c6/ca82b0f69b34.jpg

Given, it has a covered fauld as well, but Mr Beringen von Berlichingen appears, on close inspection, to have a backplate on his cuirass.

Sir Rodney:
The Beringer von Berlichingen effigy is dated to approximately 1377, which is really nice!

I copied the same picture from Effigies and Brasses and zoomed way in.  I wasn’t able to discern a back plate.  What feature(s) did you detect?

BTW, looking at his effigy, all I can think about is the modern fashion of wearing your pants low around your hips.   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version