Main > The Armoury

One method for attaching voiders or sleeves of mail

<< < (2/2)

Ian:
So you're pointing the skirt to the garment?  I've mostly seen skirts belted on so you can guarantee the weight's all on the hips.  Does the weight of it pull on your shoulders?

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-12-10, 15:19:19 ---So you're pointing the skirt to the garment?  I've mostly seen skirts belted on so you can guarantee the weight's all on the hips.  Does the weight of it pull on your shoulders?

--- End quote ---

No, I have very little weight pulling on my shoulders.  The arming coat fits well (especially these last 2 years  ;) ) and distributes the weight nicely.  What’s difficult to see is that the skirt overlaps itself a little and ties snugly after the coat is buttoned, as if it’s hung from my hips.

I know the skirt’s probably not hung in a historically accurate manner (none that I’ve been able to document anyway).  My intention was to have everything pointed to the coat and be able to shrug it all off in one fell swoop after combat.  To this end it works well.  I can be completely unarmoured from the thighs up and sitting in the shade sucking water in less than 60 seconds.   :)

Sir Nate:
Very nice. I think this is the first time I've seen your kit.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-12-10, 15:19:19 ---So you're pointing the skirt to the garment?  I've mostly seen skirts belted on so you can guarantee the weight's all on the hips.  Does the weight of it pull on your shoulders?

--- End quote ---

Lately (prior to DoK this year) I've pointed my fauld directly to the arming coat similar to how Rodney does. I use 8 leather tabs that I attached to the top of the fauld, which ties directly to points on the arming coat - except I have a "belt lace" through the top row of rings that I use to cinch it down above my waist. I don't feel any fauld weight on my shoulders since the belt lace snugs it up. If I had hips wider than my waist, I wouldn't have to do this, but the pointed tabs help keep it in place without feeling the weight at the shoulders.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version