Main > The Armoury

Early 15th century houppleande

(1/3) > >>

scott2978:
Last week I finished my latest project, a blue velvet houppleande for my lady Caren, made generally in the style of the effigy of William Willoughby c1410.

Here is my interpretation, with some modifications based on my lady's wishes, such as a shorter collar and shorter sleeves. It's made from about 8 yards of blue cotton velveteen. The feel and sheen of cotton velveteen is regarded by noted historical clothing expert Tasha Kelly as "...closer to something that probably existed in the period". The houppleande collar and sleeves are lined in medium weight linen.

Ian:
Wow!  Very nice!  Looks like it will drape very naturally and flatter whoever wears it.  Are they open-cuffed angel wing sleeves?  Excellent work Scott!

"...noted historical clothing expert Tasha Kelly..."  I'm sure Tasha would love to hear that that's how she is being referred to now :)

She most definitely is that, it's just funny because in my head that title conjures up an image of an old academic sitting Gandalf-like among dusty tomes of historical knowledge.  Anyone who's met Tasha will tell you she's a very down-to-earth, approachable, friendly and generous with her knowledge/expertise.  I just thought that contrast in my imagination was funny... ;) 

Sir Rodney:
You’ve got some serious skills Scott!   8)

You know it is funny if you think about it.  When I was young, experts sat in a wood paneled office with floor to ceiling book cases, smoked a pipe, and spoke down to you through the television.  Nowadays, experts like Tasha, Craig Johnson, and Toby Capwell blow that old image away.  We're living in exciting times!

Lord Dane:
This year's award recipient for "Medieval Tailor of the Year" goes to ... :)

Nice work Scott.

Sir Douglas:
Once again, I highly approve of the color! Actually, that's a very pretty fabric all-around. It makes for a lovely houppleande. Very nicely done!

I wish I had had the chance to talk to Tasha at DoK. I met her very briefly during the Deed of Arms, but she's one of those people whose brain I would just love to pick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version