"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: Albion Hospitaller  (Read 17660 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Albion Hospitaller
« on: 2014-10-31, 00:18:38 »
The Albion Hospitaller Review.
Oakeshott type XI

This Sword Is wonderful, It came well packaged, and no Damage at all.
Lets look at the characteristics, it meets all of the specifications on the Albion website that are stated
and it cuts beautifully. I cut Cabbages and Bananas with it easily.
The Blade itself has excellent balance, is light, and a wonderful feel. the grip is comfortable, and the Peening was done to a perfectly.
This is overall A wonderful sword.
Specs (as on the albion website)
Total length: 40" (102 cm)
Blade length: 33.75" (86 cm)
Blade width: 1.88" (4.8 cm)
CoG: 5.25" (13 cm)
CoP: 22" (56 cm)
Weight: 2 lbs 10.2 oz (1.2 kilos)

The Sword Cost $840, plus shipping.
I would say it is worth its price.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-31, 00:19:00 by Sir Naythan »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Albion Hospitaller
« Reply #1 on: 2014-10-31, 15:27:02 »
That is a nice sword, Naythan.  I don't see very many Type XI's out there, but I am a fan of them overall.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #2 on: 2014-10-31, 17:06:07 »
 A very nice sword indeed!
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2014-10-31, 17:29:51 »
Congrats!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2014-10-31, 18:00:06 »

Congrats, and a fine choice!
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #5 on: 2014-10-31, 23:04:25 »
A nice blade. :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Be generous, passionate, and resolute
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #6 on: 2014-11-03, 03:52:51 »
Holding an Albion always makes me realize how unlike a sword most other swords are. You've invested a lot of money in a sword, but you've got one really great sword :)

Have you decided whether to commission a scabbard to go with it yet?

Scott

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2014-11-03, 22:49:00 »
Holding an Albion always makes me realize how unlike a sword most other swords are. You've invested a lot of money in a sword, but you've got one really great sword :)

Have you decided whether to commission a scabbard to go with it yet?

Scott

Ha, a fine scabbard will have to wait. Right now Im trying for a cheaper one that allows me to keep the blade relevantly safe and to carry it. (Experimenting with cloth and Duck tape ;))

I especially love this blade because It feels so suited to me. That's one of the things I felt I was paying for over other sword sites, They never had enough Options that allowed me to find a sword that I had no problem with.  Im willing to buy not only one of the best, but also a sword I will always love. (Money can buy happiness then?)
« Last Edit: 2014-11-03, 23:02:04 by Sir Naythan »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2014-11-03, 23:38:42 »
Ha, a fine scabbard will have to wait. Right now Im trying for a cheaper one that allows me to keep the blade relevantly safe and to carry it. (Experimenting with cloth and Duck tape ;))

Duct tape and cloth will eventually be cut through by your sharp sword.  You need something more resistant to cutting like leather.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #9 on: 2014-11-04, 02:29:30 »
Cloth and tape will suffice for storage in your closet, but not for carrying around. You should buy a scabbard that you'll love as much as you love your sword. I recommend DBK Custom Swords & Scabbards.

http://www.dbkcustomswords.com/

I own several of these which you can find on his gallery, which is amazing. Brian is especially good at making scabbards to fit Albion swords, and he has many Albion's in his shop so he can make the scabbard to fit your sword without shipping the sword to him. Of course there are always minor variations in each sword so the fit may not be perfect, but all the ones he's made for me have been great. With the extra options like historical suspension in the period of your sword and all the potential embellishments you can go for (dyes, risers, hand tooling, metalwork, etc), I doubt you can find a better scabbard anywhere on earth.  That kind of quality won't be cheap, but he does make more austere scabbards as well that are still nicely made and historical for less cost than your sword.

There are many other worthy options around as well. Do your self a favor and invest in a really good scabbard the first time. Buying a cheap one will only be a waste of money when you eventually get tired of looking at your $800 sword in a crappy $100 scabbard that doesn't do it justice.

Scott

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2014-11-04, 22:11:35 »
Cloth and tape will suffice for storage in your closet, but not for carrying around. You should buy a scabbard that you'll love as much as you love your sword. I recommend DBK Custom Swords & Scabbards.

http://www.dbkcustomswords.com/

I own several of these which you can find on his gallery, which is amazing. Brian is especially good at making scabbards to fit Albion swords, and he has many Albion's in his shop so he can make the scabbard to fit your sword without shipping the sword to him. Of course there are always minor variations in each sword so the fit may not be perfect, but all the ones he's made for me have been great. With the extra options like historical suspension in the period of your sword and all the potential embellishments you can go for (dyes, risers, hand tooling, metalwork, etc), I doubt you can find a better scabbard anywhere on earth.  That kind of quality won't be cheap, but he does make more austere scabbards as well that are still nicely made and historical for less cost than your sword.

There are many other worthy options around as well. Do your self a favor and invest in a really good scabbard the first time. Buying a cheap one will only be a waste of money when you eventually get tired of looking at your $800 sword in a crappy $100 scabbard that doesn't do it justice.

Scott

Thank you for the link scott.
I am currently looking into Making a scabbard, with help from Ron Johnson, who has made scabbards before(and I have seen his scabbards, I do like his work) He charges a good price at 350 to 400 Dollars.
In the Meantime I cannot afford to purchase a scabbard that costs as much as the sword or close to it.

Duct tape and cloth will eventually be cut through by your sharp sword.  You need something more resistant to cutting like leather.

Will it offer more protection to the blade than CLP alone? It would simply be until I have a leather or Wood core scabbard for it.
« Last Edit: 2014-11-04, 22:14:19 by Sir Naythan »
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

scott2978

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
    • Dice and Steel
« Reply #11 on: 2014-11-05, 02:56:15 »
If you have only a light coat of CLP on the metal surfaces (not just the blade) that should be enough to protect it for a very long time. What I mean by "a light coat" is wipe it on well, then wipe it off with a clean, dry cloth. As long as no moisture ever gets to it, it will continue to look like new for decades.

A scabbard with a wool liner will keep the blade clean better.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #12 on: 2014-11-05, 14:01:01 »

It's also worth pointing out, that if you put a "clean" blade (no oil or any other sealant, or insufficient sealant) into, or on top of, something that is made of fabric or paper, it will accelerate rust.

A good example would be the cheaper swords you can get online, that come with leather-only scabbards. If you don't oil it, and then just leave it in the scabbard, it will rust quite quickly. Same thing for leaving them on carpet. Fabrics and bare, rough leather will tend to draw moisture from the air and trap it on the surface of the blade.

If the blade is oiled properly before putting it into a scabbard, it will do fine. Over time, oil will also transfer to the scabbard interior and help protect the sword in the future. Scabbards with a wool interior will also help in this regard, because the wool contains natural oils.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #13 on: 2014-11-05, 15:07:55 »
Nate, make sure you check online auction sites like ebay.com because you get lucky sometimes & find gold. I got my Albion Vigil scabbard and belt there at a bargain at it was customed by Christian Fletcher. Check often and you find great affordable deals.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #14 on: 2014-11-05, 22:49:12 »

It's also worth pointing out, that if you put a "clean" blade (no oil or any other sealant, or insufficient sealant) into, or on top of, something that is made of fabric or paper, it will accelerate rust.

A good example would be the cheaper swords you can get online, that come with leather-only scabbards. If you don't oil it, and then just leave it in the scabbard, it will rust quite quickly. Same thing for leaving them on carpet. Fabrics and bare, rough leather will tend to draw moisture from the air and trap it on the surface of the blade.

If the blade is oiled properly before putting it into a scabbard, it will do fine. Over time, oil will also transfer to the scabbard interior and help protect the sword in the future. Scabbards with a wool interior will also help in this regard, because the wool contains natural oils.

Thank you for the Advice.

Nate, make sure you check online auction sites like ebay.com because you get lucky sometimes & find gold. I got my Albion Vigil scabbard and belt there at a bargain at it was customed by Christian Fletcher. Check often and you find great affordable deals.

I keep hearing of these tales, Yet they seem to prevail true.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order