Main > The Armoury

mail on hands but not on fingers

(1/1)

Sir Wolf:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=v3jbjt&s=8

thoughts?

Sir Wolf:
also note the garters below the knees and the ties at the ankles.

and what is that tunic trim below the mail hem line?

back of the shield? artistic license or decorated?

Sir Rodney:
It appears to my eyes that his left hand is fully mailed while his right hand has no mail on the fingers.  Am I seeing that correctly?

I don’t believe the tunic trim and the back-of-shield decoration can be solely attributed to artistic license.  There must be other pictorial evidence for both of these things.

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2014-10-11, 16:47:56 ---also note the garters below the knees and the ties at the ankles.

and what is that tunic trim below the mail hem line?

back of the shield? artistic license or decorated?

--- End quote ---
Early for of Aketon ;)

I don't have an idea of why the Mail does not cover the fingers. Maybe the artist had someone in particular in mind when they drew this.
Why someone would have that opening I shine would be for more finger usage/ or they couldn't afford that little bit of extra mail because they forgot about sales tax, and the smith removed that bit.
Those are my thoughts.

--- Quote from: Lord Rodney on 2014-10-13, 03:55:02 ---It appears to my eyes that his left hand is fully mailed while his right hand has no mail on the fingers.  Am I seeing that correctly?

I don’t believe the tunic trim and the back-of-shield decoration can be solely attributed to artistic license.  There must be other pictorial evidence for both of these things.

--- End quote ---

No both hands are missing mail over the fingers.

Quick question: did mail gloves with spectate fingers exist or where their just mittens?

Sir Douglas:

--- Quote from: Sir Naythan on 2014-10-13, 04:26:43 ---Quick question: did mail gloves with spectate fingers exist or where their just mittens?

--- End quote ---

If we're to take them at face value, there are a number of images that depict fingered mail. The Mac Bible has some.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version