Main > The Armoury

Scabbard for an Albion Poitiers for wear with a Plaque Belt

<< < (9/10) > >>

Henrik Granlid:
And I think that you can absolutely use modernly made medieval materials (black wool, silk brocades etc) to recreate something that was more expensive in period, for me, that is a given.

But you will still end up dumping a whole lot of money into a kit once you go for the real deal that looks more historical rather than some website in India.

Prime example: a breastplate from Albert Collins runs about 1200 usd, a single piece raised helmet runs at least 3000.

Jeff Wasson and Platener might be cheaper, but they are by no means cheap (and they don't hand file the finish).

Basically, the higher up the scale you go, the closer you get to a historical analogue and the more expensive it becomes. Same goes for fabrics, decorations and other such things.

Portraying a medieval knight can be done with polyester cloths, plastic jewelry, mass produced Indian armour pieces and a cheap sowing machine, but it can also be done in a 25.000 dollar harness (made more expensive with gold edgings, etchings, fluting and inlays), a professionally tailored soft kit made from 150 dollar/m silk fabric (a modern suit costs about 3-4000 dollars to have made by pro tailors, so somewhere around there, it is a month's wages for him/her after all). Hand crafted jewelry, even if downplayed, for at least a few hundred.

Say some of the soft kit is made with cheap wool, that won't knock too much off the price.

You're basically looking at a 30.000+ investment before accounting for the albion swords, the horse, the handmade medieval saddle etc.

Portraying a medieval nobleman that is a knight can be done on a budget, but it is down to the individual how proper such a portrayal is and how far one is willing to go. Sir Ian is simply saying that, to him, he cannot call himself a knight proper simply because he cannot invest what it would cost to take it to the next level. And historically, he would probably be right.

However, practically, and to a lot of us, he is for all intents and purposes recreating a knight and doing it well. Just not to himself, and I can see where he is coming from.

Sir Patrick:
^^^ +1

scott2978:

--- Quote from: Henrik Granlid on 2014-10-04, 02:27:41 ---And I think that you can absolutely use modernly made medieval materials (black wool, silk brocades etc) to recreate something that was more expensive in period, for me, that is a given.

But you will still end up dumping a whole lot of money into a kit once you go for the real deal that looks more historical rather than some website in India.

Prime example: a breastplate from Albert Collins runs about 1200 usd, a single piece raised helmet runs at least 3000.

Jeff Wasson and Platener might be cheaper, but they are by no means cheap (and they don't hand file the finish).

Basically, the higher up the scale you go, the closer you get to a historical analogue and the more expensive it becomes. Same goes for fabrics, decorations and other such things.

Portraying a medieval knight can be done with polyester cloths, plastic jewelry, mass produced Indian armour pieces and a cheap sowing machine, but it can also be done in a 25.000 dollar harness (made more expensive with gold edgings, etchings, fluting and inlays), a professionally tailored soft kit made from 150 dollar/m silk fabric (a modern suit costs about 3-4000 dollars to have made by pro tailors, so somewhere around there, it is a month's wages for him/her after all). Hand crafted jewelry, even if downplayed, for at least a few hundred.

Say some of the soft kit is made with cheap wool, that won't knock too much off the price.

You're basically looking at a 30.000+ investment before accounting for the albion swords, the horse, the handmade medieval saddle etc.

Portraying a medieval nobleman that is a knight can be done on a budget, but it is down to the individual how proper such a portrayal is and how far one is willing to go. Sir Ian is simply saying that, to him, he cannot call himself a knight proper simply because he cannot invest what it would cost to take it to the next level. And historically, he would probably be right.

However, practically, and to a lot of us, he is for all intents and purposes recreating a knight and doing it well. Just not to himself, and I can see where he is coming from.

--- End quote ---

You nailed it Henrik.

There's so much I've wanted to say on this thread but you guys have all said it before me :) 

But I'm curious... Sir Ian, what is your intent? Are you actually trying to reach that pinnacle of historical accuracy some day, is that even a goal for you? Due to what it takes, I'd never even considered going for it, and it makes me curious to know whether someone with your pedigree of historical accuracy is going that way or not.

Ian:
Henrik, that you for articulating it the way you did.  I think that was an excellent explanation.

Well Scott to answer your question in a long-winded way, I really never intended this thread to imply that it was something I needed to do.  I merely wanted to point out that even though my impression may appear nice to modern eyes, there's still a gap between that and the historical reality.  I meant it more as a teaching point of "You think that's nice?  In period it would have been REAAALLLY nice."  And then the rest of the thread happened :)

I also didn't intend for anyone to get the impression that I'm not happy with my kit.  I'm pretty darn happy about how my kit is fleshing out.  I'm very happy portraying a gentleman squire at the LH events I'm able to go to with my club.

Is it a goal of mine to reach that level?  Sure.  But it's so far off right now that it would be a multi-decade long endeavor considering all the things that go in to this.  A complete impression is so much more than even armor and a full soft kit.  You have to consider the appropriate pavilion, painting the pavilion, furnishing the pavilion, appropriate storage containers, flatware, stoneware, glassware, little accessories, art, decoration, tools, banners, etc... it's such a grand undertaking when you consider that every little detail within that grand scope of items is under the same historical scrutiny.  And it's not like high end LH clubs get that stuff overnight either.  They're also constantly acquiring, re-examining, improving and changing over the course of decades themselves.  It's a living breathing process that never really ends.

As I improve my crafting and sewing skill I fully intend to always correspondingly improve my kit to match.  Will I ever reach that level?  Realistically, probably not on my own.  But that doesn't mean I'm not going to seek constant improvement where I can make it.  I don't care if I ever reach that level, but I find the journey so rewarding and fun that I don't see myself getting off the path any time soon.  Moreover I'm incredibly humbled and thankful for the opportunity to get to practice this and learn from some of the people who I would consider at the absolute top of this game.  I just love learning, improving as I learn, and sharing what I learn!

Sir Douglas:
I don't really have anything pertinent to add to this discussion, but I just wanted to say that I've been quietly following it and soaking up some really good info.

But shoot...at this early stage, I'd be happy if I can get together a passable middle-class burgher setup. I think I'm a long way off yet from silk brocades, gold jewelery, warhorses, and manor houses. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version