Main > The Armoury

All Best Stuff mail

<< < (4/5) > >>

Sir Wolf:
we got to see it, we got to see it.

Sir James A:
Well, less than a full season worth on this, and I have *lots* of rivets blown out. Only spotted one or two missing rings from a quick once-over, but wow, the missing rivets. Easily 50, maybe more.

Now, this was not just wearing it to faire, but fighting in it a few times too. Yesterday I got tossed like a wet monkey while wearing it too, so I certainly have not been gentle with it. It does seem to lose many more rivets than my 9mm did, but the 9mm is a different maker, so it's apples and oranges. I don't know if the difference in it is due to ring size or build quality between different makers... but be prepared for some maintenance with this.

Ian:
Any noticeable difference in the way the rivets are set in your current maille compared to your 9 mil stuff?  Are these pin rivets?  I forget.

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-11-24, 23:52:28 ---Well, less than a full season worth on this, and I have *lots* of rivets blown out. Only spotted one or two missing rings from a quick once-over, but wow, the missing rivets. Easily 50, maybe more.

Now, this was not just wearing it to faire, but fighting in it a few times too. Yesterday I got tossed like a wet monkey while wearing it too, so I certainly have not been gentle with it. It does seem to lose many more rivets than my 9mm did, but the 9mm is a different maker, so it's apples and oranges. I don't know if the difference in it is due to ring size or build quality between different makers... but be prepared for some maintenance with this.

--- End quote ---

Wow!   :o

Sir Ulrich:
Oh good thing I went with wedge then. I've had a lot of issues with IceFalcon's dome riveted, I wouldnt recommend that stuff if you want to keep your gambesons. Unless you use a leather buff coat or a canvas gambeson it will wear linen ones out in no time. The ring popping thing is because the rivet holes are punched and not peened to the point of becoming solid with the ring. MOST wedge riveted maille is peened to the point of being solid with the ring. Thus I can only really count like 5 rings on my wedge hauberk that are not peened properly. Thats part of the reason I went for wedge though I cant really speak for the dome riveted round ring with alternating flat punched ring allbeststuff maille but it could be different.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version