Main > The Armoury

maille tailoring?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Round riveted indian maille does have a historical analogue

That looks remarkably similar to it. Though it's still not 100% spot on you can see how they copied it to mass produce it.

Sir Humphrey:
I'm just about to finish tailoring the sleeves on my flat/solid wedge rivieted haubergeon.  It is not as difficult as I suspected.  Steven Shelton (a fellow DOK FB page member) lives near by and gave me good guindence.  I'm stitiching it back together with butted links so I can correct any mistakes I make.  Then Steven and I will go back and replaced the butted links with riveted ones later.  BTW, Steven was one of the pioneers in having the riveted mail reproduced in India.  He was one of the first importers many years ago.  We all know the current products need improvement, but they are light years ahead of the shiney butted stuff that is the top seller.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2014-09-21, 10:28:22 ---Round riveted indian maille does have a historical analogue

That looks remarkably similar to it. Though it's still not 100% spot on you can see how they copied it to mass produce it.

--- End quote ---

Where'd you find the pic? I'm curious on what / where it's from. That doesn't look like what I've seen, but I haven't seen a lot of maille, either. I'm going to guess it's earlier period, at least?

Sir Ulrich:
I found the pic on my armory. It's russian maille from the mid 1800s. Possibly it could use machined wire which is why it looks different.
http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=277133&highlight=#277133
Theres the link to the page with it.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2014-09-25, 01:01:25 ---I found the pic on my armory. It's russian maille from the mid 1800s. Possibly it could use machined wire which is why it looks different.
http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=277133&highlight=#277133
Theres the link to the page with it.

--- End quote ---

Ah, way on the other side of the spectrum, not relevant for comparison with medieval mail. Still, neat to see it pop up before the last couple decades.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version