Main > The Armoury

Opinion on these swords from Therion Arms

<< < (2/2)

Ian:
Yeah, the lionheart has kind of an odd cross section... and by that I mean thick flat piece of bar stock with a beveled edge :)

What do you want the swords for?  Just display pieces?  Cutting?  Reenactment?  Ren Faire?  Those things may shift the criteria by which a sword is evaluated.

Paulus von Zurich:
There's a few things I look for when making a choice in a sword. Time frame required, design, pricing and quality. You may ask why I leave quality for last. Most of the time swords end up being simply a prop or an accessory to our kits, so quality is usually an afterthought for me. How often are you going to actually need a sword?

I also take a look and see what is currently popular and avoid buying the same sword as the dozen other guys wearing armour, I like to be unique. I always modify any replica weapon to make it mine and to have it's own look.

Sir William:
Of the two, the one billed as the Marshal sword is the better model.  The Lionheart is an old, old model- one that never resonated with me.  The Marshal is a nice looking sword, I don't much care for the 'damascened' version but to each their own.

If its just for Faire, I'd still go with the Marshal- it has a better looking hilt and more interesting and unusual grip style.

As for whether or not one needs a sword, I believe that sort of question is best answered by the man holding one.  I've got a number of swords, but only a few that are considered worthy, and one that no one else lays a hand on but me.  Oh, and a few of my brethren have as well, but you get the point.  It is all in what it means to you.

Timothy:
Thanks all,

Consensus seems to be get a better sword regardless of usage. 

Thanks

Timothy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version