Main > The Armoury

Opinion on these swords from Therion Arms

(1/2) > >>

Timothy:
Good afternoon all,

So what is the consensus on these two swords from Therion Arms?

Thanks

Timothy

Thorsteinn:
Got a link o their pages so that we can see the stats?

Timothy:
Hi, here they are.

http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c915.html

http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c463.html

Timothy

Sir Edward:

Therion is a reseller, much like KoA is. These are pieces from CAS/Hanwei.

I used to have the Lionheart back when they made it with a bare wooden grip. It was a little heavy and overbuilt. The newer version is lighter, but I don't know how the hilt is constructed, specifically what they did with the tang, so I can't speak to the new model's durability. It has a nice feel in the hand, for the price-range though, but it can also feel a little "cheap".

I haven't handled the newer variant of the Marshal sword, though I have handled the blunt trainer version. It also seems to have a decent feel for the price. This one also has a nice fuller, but it breaks with historical accuracy a little by running the fuller almost all the way to the tip and then ending abruptly there (it ideally should end smoothly before the "center of percussion" and have more of a lenticular cross section there, though there are exceptions of course, such as some of the type X/Xa blades), and also by having an odd center-ridge reinforcement right at the tip, where the fuller ends. I think this is a side effect of how they do the manufacturing, with a thick flat spine, that acts as a guide for grinding the fuller.

So in that price range, I'd say they're both "OK". Between the two, the Marshal is a little more beefy, and the Lionheart is a little small (only 34" overall). They specifically mention distal taper on the Marshal, which I think is lacking on the Lionheart.

If I were choosing between the two, I'd go with the Marshal.

Paulus von Zurich:
The Lionheart Arming Sword's blade does not appear to be based on anything from history.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version