Main > The Armoury

Using Milk Paint to paint armor.

(1/3) > >>

Sir Matthew:
So I bought a breast plate from a freind of mine and I intend to wear it over my riveted, blackened maille for my early to mid 16th Century impression. I portray an English soldier and so I thought painting this breast plate white with the red St. George's Cross would look nice against the blackened maille. I've only every used modern oil paints on my armor, but for this project I wanted a different look and was thinking of trying milk paint. I know it is a period paint and I believe I read it was used on armor. I also know some of the members here have used it on shields, but has anyone painted armor with it? If so, how did it turn out? what pointers or tips can you provide?

Ian:
extant painted armor like the painted sallets use an oil based paint.  I don't think milk paint will stick to steel, it usually requires a porous surface.

Sir William:
I believe milk paint was used on wooden shields (or other porous surfaces as Ian suggests).

Lord Chagatai:
Need a porous service for milk paint and then it needs a sealer as it will run when it gets wet....oil paint is best!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sir Matthew:
The milk paint website says it can be used on metal, but a special bonding agent is recomended. I need to rethink this, I guess. Oil based paint isn't going to give me the look I am invisioning in my head, so either I will just go with the oil based paint or I will abandon painting the breastplate altogether. I haven't decided it. Thanks for the input.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version