Main > The Armoury

Desiging my kit

<< < (3/4) > >>

Eva de Carduus Weald:
Ahhh that makes life much easier! Okay so next question, does anyone have a site to recommend for functional swords of my era?

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Eva de Carduus Weald on 2014-08-19, 19:12:29 ---Ahhh that makes life much easier! Okay so next question, does anyone have a site to recommend for functional swords of my era?

--- End quote ---

Depends heavily on intent and budget. :)

Albion and Arms & Armor are the top tier more common ones, with cost respectively, but they are incredibly hard to beat in accuracy, function  and feel unless going full custom

Darksword, Armor Class, Del Tin, and a few others are what I would say mid to upper-mid tier. Darksword you can get direct from them, Kult of Athena is a great place for most shopping, but be forewarned, their prices are good and their service is fantastic so you can go broke without noticing

If you just want something pretty without ever striking / cutting anything, there are tons of cheap "wall hangers" (typically stainless steel) on lots of sites

Eva de Carduus Weald:
I don't know if I will ever want to do blade on blade combat so i would prefer a battle ready one. Saying that though I don't want to spend the $1,000 + that some of those beauties cost. I think mid-range will work well, thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction!

Ian:

--- Quote from: Eva de Carduus Weald on 2014-08-20, 21:23:19 ---I don't know if I will ever want to do blade on blade combat so i would prefer a battle ready one. Saying that though I don't want to spend the $1,000 + that some of those beauties cost. I think mid-range will work well, thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction!

--- End quote ---

Hang on, are you looking for a sharp sword, a dull sword, or a sword suitable for sparring?  Three different things, three different costs (generally).

A sharp sword is exactly that, a dull sword is a sharp in every way but it just doesn't have the edge, a sword for sparring has a particularly thick edge, because even a dull sword can cut.  Sparring swords usually have edges thick enough to minimize the potential for injury.  All of these tools are a little different from each other, especially the sparring sword.  Even a high end sparring sword is generally about half to 3/4 the price of a historically accurate sharp.

Eva de Carduus Weald:
Umm good question, I think a historically accurate sharp is what I really want. I for some reason seem drawn to that option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version