Main > The Armoury

New shield

(1/4) > >>

Sir Ulrich:

Well I commissioned a new shield about a month ago from Oakheart Armory. This time smaller because my old one was too big and heavy with the steel edging, plus not seeing it in period art is partially why I decided to get a new one. This shields painted with soy paints which I might have to seal it up with a matte finish sealant so it doesn't run or get ruined. It looks like milk paint enough for me. The back is mostly painted wood with the linen/canvas covering being only on the front. Straps are adjustable. It's 30 inches long and smaller. Makes all the difference honestly as it fits me about the same way I saw shields from the mid to late 1200s in German period art. Does anyone got a suggestion on what to seal this shield with? I am probably just gonna spray it for ease. They had to of used sealants back then probably a lacquer of sorts to stop paints from running.

Ian:
Gorgeous!  We talked on FB about sealants, I defer to Sir Wolf on how to seal a shield.  A matte spray would certainly work just fine, but I would just be guessing at period methods (oil/wax?)

Sir Wolf:
matte spray works for me ;)

Thorsteinn:
Ask the Archive under Historical Research?

Sir Douglas:
Very nice. I like it!

Would they even have bothered sealing the paint historically? I mean, I assume if probably wouldn't have even lasted for more than a battle or two. Of course, I imagine you don't plan on going to battle anytime soon, so there are certainly benefits to sealing it. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version