Main > The Armoury

Layered gambesons

<< < (3/5) > >>

Sir Wolf:
lol i meant ehhe i was just playing man. i last bought linen a bolt wasn't even 100 bucks

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2014-08-05, 19:48:22 ---Well ever since I realized how hot my current gambeson is in the heat I have been considering getting a layered gambeson in natural colored linen. I nearly passed out at PA ren faire from being dehydrated and the heat exhaustion.

--- End quote ---

You know you can mitigate that by drinking water throughout the day?  Whenever you've got your body under load (that is, carrying weight it wouldn't normally carry) then you have to take precautions to make sure said body can continue to function throughout a given period of time.  Drinking plenty of water, as well as upping your caloric intake, at least for that day, will help quite a bit in keeping such things manageable.

I should also add, sugary and/or alcoholic beverages will actually make it worse, so sucking down soda, ale or hard cider's not going to help in the long run.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2014-08-08, 15:50:30 ---You know you can mitigate that by drinking water throughout the day?  Whenever you've got your body under load (that is, carrying weight it wouldn't normally carry) then you have to take precautions to make sure said body can continue to function throughout a given period of time.  Drinking plenty of water, as well as upping your caloric intake, at least for that day, will help quite a bit in keeping such things manageable.

I should also add, sugary and/or alcoholic beverages will actually make it worse, so sucking down soda, ale or hard cider's not going to help in the long run.

--- End quote ---

Definitely this!  Even at LH demos when I'm relatively immobile during the day standing or sitting at my station I still pound water when I have the opportunity (and still never have to pee during the day).  If you're not drinking tons of water you're wrong.  You can actually severely injure yourself if you keep going through heat exhaustion and cause heat stroke, which is potentially fatal.  This is especially true if your constantly walking around, or fighting.  I'l usually keep camelbaks and water containers in my tent and fill up my period container all the time so I can keep hydrating in public view.  If it's at something like a ren faire, I'll just drink straight from the camelbak constantly.

Save the ale, mead and hard cider or your soft drink of choice til after the event  :)

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah I actually almost passed out from being in the sun talking for a while with 2 reenactors. I feel bad cause I cut the convo short but I really needed a drink having drank nothing but coffee. I hate how they wouldnt allow me to bring a bottle of water in and I had to pay 3 bucks for a bottle there which I hate buying bottled water. Though at smaller events people actually gave me it for FREE saying "you must be thirsty in all that armor" which was kind enough. I need to get a flask of leather or something and fill it with water as part of my kit so I will look period still and not carrying a plastic bottle around. I tend to avoid soda anyway so thats not too much an issue and I rarely drink alcohol due to it reacting poorly with anti histamines I regularly take for my allergies. Though if anyone knows a decent period flask that wont break if I drop it please link me to one, I would like to get one I just hate carrying breakable pottery with me and that pewter mug I got isnt period enough IMO nor is closeable.

Sir Matthew:
I carry a Mary Rose style costrel with me pretty much all the time at Faire or reenactments. It is honestly the best investment I made for this. I know Jas Townsend sells a slightly smaller one: http://jas-townsend.com/leather-costrel-p-1304.html. I have a buddy who has theirs, and it's identical to mine, except slightly smaller and black leather instead of the red of mine. You will need to watch their video on how to line it with brewers pitch and I highly recomend getting some pitch with it, as dropping it will result in it leaking. Relining it solves that. And I can attest to the don't be stingy with the pitch recomendation. I have not had any of the Faire security people say anything about it either, and I know that both days I was at PaRF this season, they saw it as I entered. Maybe it's that they know me already, but more than likely it's let the guy in armor take his water in. Along with drinking though, remember to eat throughout the day. Especially bread and other dough based foods. My experience is they provide energy and help in the absorbtion of the water.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version