Main > The Armoury

Layered gambesons

(1/5) > >>

Sir Ulrich:
Well ever since I realized how hot my current gambeson is in the heat I have been considering getting a layered gambeson in natural colored linen. I nearly passed out at PA ren faire from being dehydrated and the heat exhaustion. I suppose the layers of linen would breath better than cotton felt batting and be just as good as a padded one. My question is how many layers would be ideal for this? I am asking around because I could commission Badass Garbs to make another. I would think this would trap less heat and breath better as well as possibly be better protected. I know some polish sites do offer this option but it's a bit expensive as linens expensive as hell. Cottons another option but I dont think thats breaths as well as linen does. I would prefer a badass garb one due to their thickness not being too thick and would fit my maille better. Last thing I want is my maille to be too tight to fit through the gambeson... That would really be a shame and I want to prevent it.

Thorsteinn:
I wear 3 layers of linen from Fabric-Store.com that I sewed myself.

Top is 7.1 oz canvas. Next 2 are 5.3 oz. Best piece of kit I own.

Lord Dane:
3 is always good number for layers.. it's just a matter of thickness and material.

Sir James A:
Natural fibers breathe better.

Linen is expensive, yep.

If you aren't fighting in it, protection level is almost completely irrelevant, except where the padding reduces fatigue (like shoulders, etc).

Thorsteinn:
You can actually see my gambeson in my profile pic. I've worn it in the summer heat of the Sacramento–San Joaquin Delta. It worked great.

What will you be wearing over it and will you plan to fight in it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version