Main > The Armoury

My new dagger!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Wolf:
i like it

Ian:

--- Quote from: Timothy on 2014-07-12, 03:36:22 ---Than you sirs Ian and Brian,

So I use neatsfoot or a commercial leather conditioner and that will loosen up the scabbard and give the blade more room, yes? How much and for how long?

Again thanks

Timothy

--- End quote ---

It should make the leather more pliable.  There's no rule as to how many times you can apply something like neatsfoot, you'd typically use it over the life of any leather piece that's not sealed.  If the leather is sealed it won't really matter or do too much.  Will it make more room for the blade?  Not necessarily...  The scabbard could just be a generic mass-manufactured scabbard that happens to be a little too small for your copy of the dagger.

Sir Wolf:
wait, wasnt there a us dealer that carried that dagger?

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-07-11, 22:48:41 ---
--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-07-11, 22:42:13 ---Sir Brian mentioned breaking in leather shoes with, I think rubbing alcohol?? a few weeks ago, offline. If he can chime in to confirm, I believe the same should work for softening the leather scabbard. I have a rondel dagger that needs the same treatment.

--- End quote ---
oil

That may risk drying out the leather and removing it's natural oils.  Leather conditioners are usually something that returns the oils to the leather like neatsfoot oil or commercial leather conditioners.  Alcohol will help break in leather, but it shouldn't be the last thing that touches the leather.  Dry leather = cracked leather.

--- End quote ---

It was rubbing alcohol which Frank Ireson from Viking Leathercrafts recommended to me when my new boots I just purchased from him were a little too snug. The alcohol stretched the leather so it actually molded itself to my feet. It worked so well I used the same method on my Frankenstein gauntlets that were a little too snug as well. Now they fit like a dream. I hadn’t noticed any adverse effects on the leather as yet.   :-\

Sir Ulrich:
Yeah he did the same thing for my shoes and they are the most comfortable shoes for the medieval period I have worn. Also cheated by adding a non period insole in the middle of DoK 2 due to my feet aching from the hard bottom but they have lugged soles to begin with so I dont think it's THAT bad with cheating. Once I do get turn shoes I wont need that though but for now thats what I am using.
Thats also the dagger I wanted for a while, though I ended up getting a custom hand forged aunlaz dagger for 70 bucks thats razor sharp. Still need someone to make a simple sheath for it. Probably would of gotten that dagger though it looks nice, perfect for a late 12th early 13th century depiction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version