Main > The Armoury

My new dagger!

(1/3) > >>

Timothy:
Good afternoon,

My new dagger has arrived from Celtic Britain  (Netherlands?)

http://www.celticwebmerchant.biz/seaxes-knives-daggers/daggers/

It has some dings I could do without but it is 12th century.  The dagger when placed in the scabbard does not fit all the way in and is a very tight fit. Will need to work on that. Overall I like it and would very much rather be on the giving end and not the receiving end.

Timothy

Don Jorge:
Sucks about it being a bit dinged and the scabbard but hey for 40 some odd bucks that isn't bad!

Sir James A:
Sir Brian mentioned breaking in leather shoes with, I think rubbing alcohol?? a few weeks ago, offline. If he can chime in to confirm, I believe the same should work for softening the leather scabbard. I have a rondel dagger that needs the same treatment.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-07-11, 22:42:13 ---Sir Brian mentioned breaking in leather shoes with, I think rubbing alcohol?? a few weeks ago, offline. If he can chime in to confirm, I believe the same should work for softening the leather scabbard. I have a rondel dagger that needs the same treatment.

--- End quote ---
oil

That may risk drying out the leather and removing it's natural oils.  Leather conditioners are usually something that returns the oils to the leather like neatsfoot oil or commercial leather conditioners.  Alcohol will help break in leather, but it shouldn't be the last thing that touches the leather.  Dry leather = cracked leather.

Timothy:
Than you sirs Ian and Brian,

So I use neatsfoot or a commercial leather conditioner and that will loosen up the scabbard and give the blade more room, yes? How much and for how long?

Again thanks

Timothy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version