"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: The Myth of European Reenactment Perfection  (Read 17055 times)

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: The Myth of European Reenactment Perfection
« Reply #15 on: 2014-07-02, 19:11:46 »
Who cares about the mismatching armor. As long as everyone is having fun, nobody loses.  ;)

'Twas a jest! I most certainly am not one to promote the "we're here only to have fun" mentality. To me reenacting is based on 4 principles in this order:

1) Educate the general public
2) Establish a deeper understanding of the past through re-creation
3) Remember those who came before
4) Have fun
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2014-07-02, 19:20:09 »
Who cares about the mismatching armor. As long as everyone is having fun, nobody loses.  ;)

'Twas a jest! I most certainly am not one to promote the "we're here only to have fun" mentality. To me reenacting is based on 4 principles in this order:

1) Educate the general public
2) Establish a deeper understanding of the past through re-creation
3) Remember those who came before
4) Have fun

I kind of suspected that knowing your background with reenactment, but you never can tell on the interwebs :)

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Martyn

• Knight Itinerant
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Courage Honor Faith Humility Justice Prowess Mercy
« Reply #17 on: 2014-07-04, 01:52:32 »
As James said, one of the biggest things Europeans have going for them is that they grow up surrounded by this history - that's not to say that everyone has an equal level of appreciation/understanding for it, of course - but for all of them it's an inescapable part of their culture they are surrounded by and inundated with from birth.

That's like assuming people in the US have an understanding of American History... or even their own local history.  I would venture to say that a lot of people don't really have that understanding, and many don't really care.  Being in the right setting doesn't mean the people in it know anything about it.

I don't know of any strict LH groups here in the US that require all hand-sewn garments for medieval impressions either.  I'm sure there may be some out there, and that would be a bit extreme.  But then again, if you don't want to play by those rules, don't try to join that specific game.  That's what I take umbrage with.  It's the people who see a group that has a certain set of rules, then they get all upset when they won't relax their rules for them.  If you want to play a more relaxed game, join or form a more relaxed group, but leave the people who enjoy the strict presentation alone and let them do their thing.

I agree that it takes all levels of accuracy to bring a good presentation to the table because you don't want to exclude people's knowledge when they may have some garments that are not correct.  But you have to draw the line somewhere.  That's what always gets people's panties in to a bunch.   There comes a point where the inaccuracies are detracting from the presentation.  That is a fine line to walk.  The first video I posted is well beyond that line.  It shows virtually nothing correct about the material culture of the chosen time period.  That's why I used it as the example.

I think a lot of people are falsely making the assumption that I think everyone should be super accurate all the time.  That's false.  Look at DoK, there are hugely varying levels of accuracy at that event.  But that's why we're able to have such a large and successful event with such a wide variety of knowledge.  Now when it comes to my own personal standards for myself, I prefer to do things as accurate as my knowledge and skill allows.  That's how I, and my group operate, but we only hold ourselves to those standards.

**also, don't forget the point of this discussion was to bust the myth that European living history is all of that stitch-counting museum-level quality, it's not**

I was trying to say only that Europeans have the advantage of growing up surrounded by/living in the history of the period under discussion and the focus of these events - inundation does not equal comprehension, however.  And while generally I believe Europeans are better educated about their own history, the specific level of understanding on this topic is, of course, another question. 

I also agree that Europeans are, as we are, interested in many factors and these events bring all kinds of people to the fore.  Definitely from attending some of their bigger annual LARP events in addition to recreation exhibitions, etc., I would say you can find enthusiasts of all ranges :)

Certainly agree people should adhere to the standards of the group they belong to and find the right combo of what appeals to/fits them.  Not intended as a counterpoint, but was just trying to add (perhaps badly) that I think different LH groups can still bring something to the table in terms of educating, enlightening and exciting people.   Mike's principles appeal to me.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-04, 02:48:22 by Martyn »
Among the greatest evils we face are those which lie within.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #18 on: 2014-07-05, 23:26:03 »
I'm glad someone is speaking out against the myth of European supremacy, the only reason we see so many nice kits from Europe is because they have the history there, and with that larger amounts of people participating, with varying amounts of historicity.
Same reason we have a lot of good civil war impressions, the USA is lousy with reenactors of the period! *cough, cough, MIKE! cough, cough*
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2014-07-06, 14:08:20 »
I guess the only things that Europe has that we lack is 1) Historical sites and 2) numbers. The farther you are away from the location of the historical events, the less interest there is. Even in Civil War reenacting you have the same issues. The tristate area has tens of thousands of reenactors who come out for reenactments on or near the actual battlefield. Go out west, and you'll be lucky to scrape together 500 guys to do a battle in a local park. But as always, you have really good events and dreadfully awful events.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2014-07-06, 15:10:15 »
Wrap your head around this one!  Russians reenacting the American Civil War.  Probably with more accuracy in costume than many American groups (although I admit I know nothing of accurate ACW clothing).

I think at the end of the day it comes down to the individual group more than any other factor.  Geographic location can certainly assist, but it's up to the group to use their resources.  A diligent group in the US can certainly make better use of resources than a lazy group in the heart of the Medieval Holy Roman Empire and pull off a better impression / presentation.  I think in the past we just lent too much credit to the European groups and didn't give ourselves enough.

My Pinterest

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #21 on: 2014-07-06, 16:47:07 »
yeah  they have ACW in europe. its big.

i think the main issue lies with us just being us. we want what we want and we want it now......but as cheap as possible. sometimes it seems like europeans dont have his disease as bad as americans do

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #22 on: 2014-07-06, 21:21:58 »
i think the main issue lies with us just being us. we want what we want and we want it now......but as cheap as possible. sometimes it seems like europeans dont have his disease as bad as americans do

Yeah, that's a huge cultural flaw here. Instant gratification, for the lowest cost possible. Some things just simply can't be done that way, or at least shouldn't be done that way. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2014-07-07, 00:54:08 »
If I may ask: Why is ACW popular outside of the USA?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2014-07-07, 04:33:26 »
Because everyone secretly wants to be 'MURICAN!  ;)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2014-07-07, 09:23:28 »

Yeah, that's a huge cultural flaw here. Instant gratification, for the lowest cost possible. Some things just simply can't be done that way, or at least shouldn't be done that way. :)

You have to admit, there's a certain irony to wanting to recreate the material culture and lifestyle of a "simpler time" like the Middle Ages while simultaneously applying that modern instant gratification attitude toward doing it. :)
My Pinterest

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2014-07-07, 13:18:07 »
I think another factor is people wanting to do what is cool rather than what is historical. People tend to approach history with well-ingrained misconceptions. Swords were massive versions of a butcher's cleaver, Confederate cavalry carried 6 revolvers at all times, etc. People go for what looks historical but not what actually is. At Ren Faires people mix and match armor or have armor that entirely ahistorical. At Civil War events people have more camp furniture than is appropriate. Farbiness I think boils down to people who want to have fun as a first priority. The results can be quite vexing. (Ian, check out Happy Friends Civil War Farbs on facebook. It'll make you both laugh at the ridiculousness of these people, yet cry at the fact that it actually exists.)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2014-07-09, 17:45:01 »
If you're into WWII, farb fest is a great Facebook farb showcase as well.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 2014-07-16, 21:51:02 »
A cool clip of another reenactment done right.

Hastings 2012 set to the Rohirrim theme:
My Pinterest

Sir Martyn

• Knight Itinerant
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Courage Honor Faith Humility Justice Prowess Mercy
« Reply #29 on: 2014-07-17, 03:39:55 »
Nice.
Among the greatest evils we face are those which lie within.