Main > The Armoury

Mail gunk

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Douglas:

--- Quote from: Sir Naythan on 2014-06-26, 00:11:14 ---A mix between olive oil and vegetable oil.

--- End quote ---

Add some tomatoes and some sliced carrots and you've got one tasty armor salad! ;)

Hmmmm....a sallet salad?

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: DouglasTheYounger on 2014-06-26, 01:11:14 ---Hmmmm....a sallet salad?

--- End quote ---

I can never remember what the actual reference is, but there's a period reference that makes a pun out of that intentionally, which is one of the ways we know that "sallet" had a hard-T. :)

Sir William:
I use Flitz for all of my armor bits- non organic, non corrosive and no issues thus far.  How do you store your maille, Naythan?

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2014-06-26, 14:51:52 ---I use Flitz for all of my armor bits- non organic, non corrosive and no issues thus far.  How do you store your maille, Naythan?

--- End quote ---
Wrapped in clothe, put in a box, and put under a table.
But I do have a closet that in summer or winter that remains about 70 to 75 degrees all year round. As far as its humidity goes, that can vary.
But I remember almost soaking my mail in the oil, so perhaps such a large quantity created the gunk. Im sure better storage can be made

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Naythan on 2014-06-26, 15:06:50 ---
--- Quote from: Sir William on 2014-06-26, 14:51:52 ---I use Flitz for all of my armor bits- non organic, non corrosive and no issues thus far.  How do you store your maille, Naythan?

--- End quote ---
Wrapped in clothe, put in a box, and put under a table.
But I do have a closet that in summer or winter that remains about 70 to 75 degrees all year round. As far as its humidity goes, that can vary.
But I remember almost soaking my mail in the oil, so perhaps such a large quantity created the gunk. Im sure better storage can be made

--- End quote ---

Humidity is much more of a factor than temperature in preventing rust.  If possible, it should always be stored in an air conditioned space.  And yes, too much oil will definitely cause gunk build up.  Oil may prevent water from getting to the surface of the steel (and thus preventing rust), but it attracts dirt and dust which then gets emulsified in the oil and becomes gunk.  And veg or olive oil stored in high heat will go rancid quickly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version