Main > The Armoury

New Shield. Thoughts?

<< < (2/3) > >>

D.Shortt:
Seems like a decent start. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a full gaunt in. Maybe just try and chain glove?

Sir Rodney:
I’ll make the assumption that this shield is for SCA combat (Thorsteinn is an active member).  I know very little of this period so I can’t comment on historical accuracy. The construction seems very solid and it should take a beating.

From a strictly SCA “sword & board” point of view, I like it very much.   :)  Knees and below are illegal target areas, so simply keeping the bottom edge of the shield near your knee cop eliminates any low blows to your left (shield) side.  Raising it slightly will block any high shots from a right handed opponent.  Rotating it left slightly will block most wrap shots.  The oval shape allows you a full range of attacks without being encumbered as you would be with a center grip round shield.

Unfortunately, you will have to find or make some type of hand & wrist protection.  For those not in the SCA, even a center grip shield, with your hand inside the boss, requires you to wear hand protection.  Why, I can’t say.  It’s another one of our many silly rules.   ::)

Mike W.:
What is the material of the shield? As far as I know, shields of the era were made of lindenwood planks glued together and bound with rawhide and a leather (or canvas) covering.

Thorsteinn:
Well the shield isn't done yet & I do have hand protection, but as my hand is more than 4" from the edge & is  covered a bit by the boss I can use one of my half gauntlets. I was just seeing if the full gauntlet would work as that would allow me to not worry as much on my grip strength giving out.

Right now it's made with 2 layers of 5mm luan plywood with 3 layers of canvas (one in the middle). I didn't want to get too spendy as I didn't know if I'd like it.

Sir Rodney:
That construction should prove to be very durable.   :)

You’re very fortunate with the center grip issue!  I used to have a (very well made) basket grip on my heater and I was still required to squeeze a clamshell gauntlet in there.  Regional interpretation of the exact same rule as well as time, this was a while ago, make all the difference.   ;)

Let us know how it holds up at practice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version