Main > The Armoury

Your optimum sword length?

<< < (2/2)

Thorsteinn:

--- Quote from: Sir Naythan on 2014-05-09, 02:34:20 ---But overall it is 48 in.

--- End quote ---

Nate that was a gift for a local TKD master I spar with, and inspired by Albion's 'The Duke'.

My sparring greatsword is 53.5 OLA, 14" grip, 10" curved quillions, 2 side rings, 37.5" blade, & weights 3.5lbs. It has an Iron Pipe fitting for a pommel and a Clang Armoury bastard sword crossguard for the hardware. Means I can't pommel strike but I can swing it one handed a bit.

Sir Wolf:
i remember the old rule of holding your sword and being able to down slash at the ground. you go thru the grass but not hit the dirt. and that was your optimum sword length.

Lord Chagatai:

--- Quote from: Sir Wolf on 2014-05-10, 02:31:17 ---i remember the old rule of holding your sword and being able to down slash at the ground. you go thru the grass but not hit the dirt. and that was your optimum sword length.

--- End quote ---

Yep thats how I judge mine....and its a good way to judge it too. I use light weight swords in tournament but train with heavier swords so that my shots are hard and quick..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sir James A:
Long enough to stab the other guy with.

I've heard two guidelines, both I believe are modern since I've never heard a period context for it.

One-handed swords, as Sir Wolf said (hold in hand, should go near the ground but not touch it).

Long swords, height of the ground to under your armpit. (I've used a little under and a little over, and been fine with both)

Sir Ulrich:
I did what Sir Wolf was talking about, my Reeve is just perfect honestly, though my Ritter does touch the ground. Though I think the reason for it was it's a cavalry sword while the Reeve is a footman's sword.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version