Main > The Armoury

Where to begin? New Kit in the working..

<< < (21/31) > >>

Sir Rodney:
I really like this bascinet as well.  A word of caution, the visor hinge pins must have a method of retaining them within the hinge.

From this photo you can see that the visor hinge pin is simply a bent wire.  I’ve modified mine to be a much larger diameter wire, and then drilled a hole through the bottom of the pin so that a retainer (mail ring) could be inserted.  This prevents the visor hinge pin from working loose and creating a catastrophic visor failure.

I had my houndskull visor swing loose once thirteen months ago and vowed “never again”.  I do not want a broken nose (or worse).   :o

Sir Rodney:
Close up photo showing what I described above.  (The decorative hinge pin chain has been pulled out of the way for clarity.)

Ian:
Jorge, as an aside in order for your aventail to rise around the face you will need to drill holes and add verveilles along the side of the face opening. I would have them do it if you're not comfortable.

Don Jorge:
Yep I plan to get some nicer vervilles eventually and a new leather band too...I have to see the length and shape of the aventail to see if it is worth tailoring.

I might just use it for a Pisan and get a larger aventail to work on a more historical look.

It has been shipped so let's see how it looks when I get it :)

As for the hinge pin I do have to come up with a solution that makes it easily interchangeable... I got two visors...a grill for tourney and the closed face for meele and general menace :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sir Martyn:
Jorge - I really like the bascinet/visor combo you've picked out. I'm looking for something similar which would also fit under a great helm when needed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version