Main > The Armoury

Epoxy, Broken sword, and Searching

<< < (6/7) > >>

Chuck G.:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2014-05-02, 14:39:05 ---
A&A is really awesome, because they make a lot of the more "difficult" types of swords that Albion doesn't do currently. Plus, they do polearms, and take custom orders as well. Their product has a more hand-made sort of finish to it than some others, but in a very authentic way. Plus they have access to a lot of historical originals, to replicate the details.

--- End quote ---

Let me add to this by saying A&A is top notch. I've actually been by their shop several times in Minneapolis, and they're really a great bunch of folks. Naturally, I have quite a few of their offerings from over the years, including some that are OOP.

In addition to their regular offerings, be sure to check out their Custom section to get a sense of the full range that they can offer.

Chuck G.:

--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-04-28, 15:03:01 ---Happens when hitting solid wood with a "rat tail" (thin round) tang like that. You could keep the handle / hilt / crossguard and buy a new blade, but I wouldn't suggest hitting wood with it.

I'm not sure about the Del Tin tangs, but they are critical to the sword taking abuse - and hitting solid wood is indeed sword abuse.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, not only is the rattail too thin, but the threads create stress risers that can cause fractures. I have a pretty strict "NO THREADS" policy with my rehilts. I can only think of one exception - an old A&A short sword that had a small amount of threading (some of their swords have maybe a 1/2" or so on the very end where they screw down the pommel nut to secure a pommel and then peen it. This is acceptable - screw on pommels not so much). Otherwise I will reforge tangs, grind, etc. to remove threading. Just too much of a structural risk.

What are you planning on doing with the sword?

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Chuck G. on 2014-05-15, 04:28:38 ---
--- Quote from: Sir James A on 2014-04-28, 15:03:01 ---Happens when hitting solid wood with a "rat tail" (thin round) tang like that. You could keep the handle / hilt / crossguard and buy a new blade, but I wouldn't suggest hitting wood with it.

I'm not sure about the Del Tin tangs, but they are critical to the sword taking abuse - and hitting solid wood is indeed sword abuse.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, not only is the rattail too thin, but the threads create stress risers that can cause fractures. I have a pretty strict "NO THREADS" policy with my rehilts. I can only think of one exception - an old A&A short sword that had a small amount of threading (some of their swords have maybe a 1/2" or so on the very end where they screw down the pommel nut to secure a pommel and then peen it. This is acceptable - screw on pommels not so much). Otherwise I will reforge tangs, grind, etc. to remove threading. Just too much of a structural risk.

What are you planning on doing with the sword?

--- End quote ---

My plans with a sword is to not to do what I did with my first one. A sword to me is a personal Item that I think a Medievalist should think of getting. One that is at least peened, but meets the right applicant's that can bond with ones soul.
So I would be getting a sword just to have ;)

Sir Nate:
How are legacy arm's products?
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=IP602&name=Legacy+Arms+Brookhart+Templar+Sword

Chuck G.:

--- Quote from: Sir Naythan on 2014-05-16, 22:42:43 ---My plans with a sword is to not to do what I did with my first one. A sword to me is a personal Item that I think a Medievalist should think of getting. One that is at least peened, but meets the right applicant's that can bond with ones soul.
So I would be getting a sword just to have ;)

--- End quote ---

Eh... I meant less existentially - what are you planning on doing with the broken sword? Keep in mind you could use it as a project to rebuild it into a functional weapon again, if only by cutting down into a shorter sword. All you really need is a bench vise, files, hacksaw & blades, and various grits of sandpaper to do this.

I was even mulling buying the bits off of you just to demonstrate what could be done with this (sort of a "turd to treasure" type of thing), but I've got enough projects at this point and don't need to add to the heap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version