Main > The Armoury

Epoxy, Broken sword, and Searching

(1/7) > >>

Sir Nate:
Hail, Recently I purchased epoxy to help my sword with a loos grip, guard,and Pommel. Well While the Epoxy did its job fine it ended up lasting longer than my steel. I do not want to get into too much detail other than me doing the Sin of Hacking at wood with a sword, and my pommel broke off. The steel of the tang.
To sum up Epoxy works great :) Better than my blades steel.
I have been looking now at Del tins sword products.
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=DT2133&name=Del+Tin+Type+X+Medieval+Sword

(pics will be added soon)

Mike W.:
Sweet Jesus! 3lbs 9oz?! That is one hell of a heavy sword...

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Baron de Magnan on 2014-04-28, 02:56:09 ---Sweet Jesus! 3lbs 9oz?! That is one hell of a heavy sword...

--- End quote ---

That's always been one of the criticisms of Del Tin. They make nice replicas, except for the fact that they're on the heavy side, and usually don't have enough distal taper.

Having said that, there were some examples of period swords that were also heavy cleavers. Companies that try to get it right, such as Albion or A&A, tend to model their swords after some of the better examples available, but there was a wide spectrum back in the day.

So when it comes to something like this, I think it's best to ask yourself if the weight is OK for you, and whether the replica is good enough for your tastes, at the price-point that is offered.

Sir James A:
Happens when hitting solid wood with a "rat tail" (thin round) tang like that. You could keep the handle / hilt / crossguard and buy a new blade, but I wouldn't suggest hitting wood with it.

I'm not sure about the Del Tin tangs, but they are critical to the sword taking abuse - and hitting solid wood is indeed sword abuse.

Sir Nate:
Ulric has informed me that the weight in del tins is heavier it isnt that bad.
Ill get it and I swear on my.... Aragorns sword I will notuse wood again when I do get a new sword.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version