Main > The Armoury

Pells and physical training. WAS: Re: Armor stands

<< < (4/9) > >>

Ian:
Don't listen to me, take it from Talhoffer  ;)  The swordsman must be balanced in mind, body, and spirit.

Aiden of Oreland:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-04-17, 00:48:22 ---Don't listen to me, take it from Talhoffer  ;)  The swordsman must be balanced in mind, body, and spirit.

--- End quote ---

What does it exactly mean to be balanced in "spirit"

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Aiden on 2014-04-17, 01:42:16 ---
--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-04-17, 00:48:22 ---Don't listen to me, take it from Talhoffer  ;)  The swordsman must be balanced in mind, body, and spirit.

--- End quote ---

What does it exactly mean to be balanced in "spirit"

--- End quote ---

Most would say spirit refers to your morality, emotional well-being or religious sense of self. Whatever version of spirituality that you subscribe to, be it organized religion or a more secular form of spirituality.

I think it's fair to say that 'spirit' is the most often neglected part of ourselves in modern society.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-04-16, 21:14:41 ---I just find it amusing that people want to revive a long lost martial art and ignore the physical requirements to do it.  The men who practiced this art in history were not lazy schlubs.  Being in shape is critical to the understanding of any sport or martial art.  Being out of shape restricts the performance of the art, and so reviving its technique only gets you so far if you can't do it.  If you truly want to revive historical swordsmanship from a point of understanding, you must be willing to revive all of it, and a huge part of that historical art is the physical condition required to perform it in its historical context.  A martial artist cannot somehow be de-coupled from physical condition.  WMA is unique, you're right, but it's unique in that many of its practitioners think that being in D&D shape somehow qualifies them to be a master swordsman.  :)

Too many people view fitness and cunning as mutually exclusive.  This is of course a false dichotomy.  A skilled practitioner will always beat a strong one, but a skilled practitioner who is also in superior physical shape, in essence, is really more skilled, because he can perform his technique with greater physical proficiency, stamina, and power.

--- End quote ---

Absolutely agreed, only caveat being that the men who practiced this art often lived and died by the sword, and it was their primary job - or they at least did physical labor of some sort, and not a desk jockey like I am. I don't even consider myself a competitor, just a participant. But I'm in good enough shape to attack the darkness! ;)

Good example, too. If both are equally skilled, physical conditioning and luck are the only real separating factors; and you only have control over one of those.

Don Jorge:
I loved that video...if I had a sparring partner I would wake up at dawn and put on my turn shoes and go out and practice :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version