Main > The Armoury

Albion Ritter

<< < (4/6) > >>

Sir Nate:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2014-04-16, 14:43:37 ---The stats on that sword are near identical with those of Irae (my Arn sword) - it is a large sword, but well balanced and a joy to wield.  Definitely would shine from on-horseback; real nice aquisition, Shawn.  I'm not a fan of the cocked hat pommel but at that price, its a steal.

--- End quote ---

That is why I like the Arn sword better, The pommel ruins it for me.

scott2978:
That's a fantastic price for a great quality sword, congrats!

Sir Ulrich:
After an hour of dry handling both swords outside I can conclude the Reeve is indeed heavier than the Ritter. Only slightly though, I like both swords though the Reeve has a thicker handle than the Ritter. I actually like how light they both are and both feel quite good in my hand. I actually like the Cocked Hat pommel type for some reason round ones never appeal much to me and look plain, only like them on type XIV swords. I also handled the Templar at DoK 2 and for some reason that one I didn't like how it handled, felt a little blade heavy to me, I am rather glad the swords I liked the most happen to be ones that I can handle the best too. Only real complaint I have is as I said the rough grip and the fact it's black, I would of went for brown myself but I did see 13th century period art with black gripped swords shoes scabbards and belts. Though black leather I DONT think was used in the earlier medieval period, for my period it should be fine as I know they used iron filings to make black dye for leather.

Stanislaw:

--- Quote from: Sir Ulrich on 2014-04-21, 00:36:44 ---After an hour of dry handling both swords outside I can conclude the Reeve is indeed heavier than the Ritter. Only slightly though, I like both swords though the Reeve has a thicker handle than the Ritter. I actually like how light they both are and both feel quite good in my hand. I actually like the Cocked Hat pommel type for some reason round ones never appeal much to me and look plain, only like them on type XIV swords. I also handled the Templar at DoK 2 and for some reason that one I didn't like how it handled, felt a little blade heavy to me, I am rather glad the swords I liked the most happen to be ones that I can handle the best too. Only real complaint I have is as I said the rough grip and the fact it's black, I would of went for brown myself but I did see 13th century period art with black gripped swords shoes scabbards and belts. Though black leather I DONT think was used in the earlier medieval period, for my period it should be fine as I know they used iron filings to make black dye for leather.

--- End quote ---

Black leather was certainly used in the earlier medieval period, though it wasn't as common, and a lot of reenactment/living history groups discourage its use.

Sir Ulrich:
I checked it out in the light, the leather is not like a solid black. But it has a few brown bits in it. Apparently it's really dark brown almost black it's like it almost has brown bands with black dye too. Quite a cool effect honestly. Though black wont look bad with my teutonic outfit even if people discourage it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version