Main > The Armoury

Gambisons/gambeson on the out side

<< < (2/2)

Thorsteinn:
Sir Daniel de Blaire wears an Angel Wing Jupon. Seems to like it well enough.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir Vander Linde on 2014-03-24, 01:05:57 ---Hmm I was referring more to what Farinata degli Uberti, is often duplicated wearing. Which having now seen what you all have posted seems like a plausible evolution. He is often depicted  in one that more resembles a tabard, like the one  Sir Ian posted of the Black Prince's one, though the most often one is just plain red.

--- End quote ---

Those images of Farinata are also showing him in armor that's several hundred years past his own lifetime.  Regardless it's hard to tell if those images are depicting a thick quilted jupon like the turn of the 15th century stuff, or if it's just a pleated over-gown.  There's a painting of someone in armor with what basically looks like a dress on over it, and I can't find it right now...  I want to say it's blackened armor, 16th century, and the over-gown is brownish in color.  I really wish I could find it.

Either way, it's certainly appropriate to wear a quilted outer-garment over armor at the turn of the 15th.  Later on I can't speak to.  If you're interested in the Farinata garment, then I suspect you're interested in much later examples.

Corrazinas are usually depicted with visible rivets, and corrazinas are not quilted (the textile outer covering is stretched smooth over the surface of the plates and riveted in place), nor do they ever have sleeves.  These are a different animal.

Sir Vander Linde:
sir Thorsteinn, that is very interesting jupon, reminds me of the ones in the Gladiatorie fetchbook. I always assumed the wings would get in the way though...

Sir Ian, I think I know which depiction you are referring to actually. Most of my kit is 15th century Italian gothic, which is why I was interested in the one depicted on Farinata degli Uberti, I figured knowing the artist was most likely working from a written description that when they illustrated it they used what was familiar to them. in older depictions or art it is just a red robe. as for the Corrazinas I like those very much, but I would prefer the quilted look.

Lord Dane:
Corrazinas were more common in northern Italian provinces/city-states, Spain, and parts of southern France in 14th century along border regions. Did not seem a widespread fashion outside that sphere of influence but was popular with those with a fancy for Milanese armor. 

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2014-03-24, 11:27:30 ---
--- Quote from: Sir Vander Linde on 2014-03-24, 01:05:57 ---Hmm I was referring more to what Farinata degli Uberti, is often duplicated wearing. Which having now seen what you all have posted seems like a plausible evolution. He is often depicted  in one that more resembles a tabard, like the one  Sir Ian posted of the Black Prince's one, though the most often one is just plain red.

--- End quote ---

Those images of Farinata are also showing him in armor that's several hundred years past his own lifetime.  Regardless it's hard to tell if those images are depicting a thick quilted jupon like the turn of the 15th century stuff, or if it's just a pleated over-gown.  There's a painting of someone in armor with what basically looks like a dress on over it, and I can't find it right now...  I want to say it's blackened armor, 16th century, and the over-gown is brownish in color.  I really wish I could find it.

Either way, it's certainly appropriate to wear a quilted outer-garment over armor at the turn of the 15th.  Later on I can't speak to.  If you're interested in the Farinata garment, then I suspect you're interested in much later examples.

Corrazinas are usually depicted with visible rivets, and corrazinas are not quilted (the textile outer covering is stretched smooth over the surface of the plates and riveted in place), nor do they ever have sleeves.  These are a different animal.

--- End quote ---

I believe this is correct, I don't recall ever seeing one with sleeves. I have seen sleeves on brigandines, such as this:

https://warosu.org/data/tg/img/0211/41/1350347083912.jpg

Plates are different of course, and rivet pattern, but both are fabric covered and if the rivets aren't drawn they might be hard to distinguish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version