Main > The Armoury

Sabatons

<< < (4/5) > >>

Sir William:
 BAD.  ASS.  Love it.

Sir Martyn:
Look great, Sir Ian!

scott2978:
Sir Iran, did you find much in the way of historical reference for your heel plates? I'm preparing to have my sabs refurbished and was considering adding heel plates, but I notice that Jeff's post over on AA that sparked debate as to their historical use (from back in February!) is still going strong to this day. I'm curious about your own opinion/research.

Thorsteinn:
Good stuff there.

Ian:

--- Quote from: scott2978 on 2014-06-11, 00:05:22 ---Sir Iran, did you find much in the way of historical reference for your heel plates? I'm preparing to have my sabs refurbished and was considering adding heel plates, but I notice that Jeff's post over on AA that sparked debate as to their historical use (from back in February!) is still going strong to this day. I'm curious about your own opinion/research.

--- End quote ---

Sir Iran?  I swear I'm an American!! :)

There's definitely some artwork that supports heel coverage on the sabaton in the late 14th / early 15th century.  Unfortunately the extant pieces like the sabatons from Chartres indicate there was never a heel plate associated with that piece.  But I think what they're discovering on that AA thread is that for every guy wearing sabs, there's at least one guy just wearing shoes, or maille only, or a sab with no heel.  So I think what's really being shown is that there's a lot of variety in foot protection during that period in time and sabaton with heel is hardly the standard or even common, but merely an option.

Here's a tetraptych from 1400, interestingly the heel seems to have lames:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roelipilami/2002929645/

This images below also shows heel coverage on the sab:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version